In And Out Of Perth

Trip Start Jan 03, 2012
Trip End May 02, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Western Australia,
Wednesday, June 6, 2012

The flight into Perth was somewhat turbulent but the food was decent and the landing smooth. We retrieved our bags and immediately inquired about flights to the coast further north.  The quotes were outrageous and despite a tipoff to lower rates available online we had no access so we resigned ourselves to making another long drive of it.

Then we took an agonizing shuttle bus ride from the airport into the city.  In allegedly unexpectedly heavy 'peak hour traffic', the driver still dropped everyone off at their desired location and of course we were last.  As valuable hours ticked off the clock, we were wishing we'd at least asked about the price of a taxi or taken the public bus for a cheaper if equally painful transfer.  All this was made worse by the Australian country music romancing over driving road trains, long transport vehicles with one cab and two or three trailers stretching over a hundred feet long.  Jason nearly lost it and he vented to Sylvia, a burden she could hardly bare.

Our first task was of course to forage for food in a new place.  We walked to the supermarket and stocked up on staples while putting together meal ideas.  Jason shopped with a bag of frozen peas on his still swollen and aching bike accident thumb injury.  Somehow we put together a delicious dinner which consisted of baked painted sweetlips fillets with roasted potatoes and asparagus.

Later that night we talked about the toll that travelling was taking on us and agreed to take things in stride, communicate more effectively and enjoy ourselves.  Showered and sleeping in a bed for the first time in five nights, Sylvia had a restless night requiring earplugs while Jason slumbered without accessories.

We rose early to pick up our rental car.  It was another Hyundai i30, red this time.  Since the earthquake and subsequent tsunami, Japan was unable to meet the demand for vehicles so Korea stepped in to fill the void.  After a footrace around town in light drizzle to find camping stove fuel we drove back to the hostel in time for free second breakfast, loaded the car and launched another extended road trip with the playlist reset to A.

Trying to leave the city and head north the highway signs were few and far between so we were compelled to stop and ask the locals if we were on the right track.  We were.  The rainfall fluctuated from heavy to light, the wind was high and a murder of crows patrolled the shoulders.  Road trains were everywhere and one blew a tire, forcing Jason to straddle it under the car at high speed, causing a loud bang on contact but thankfully no damage.

We ate lunch in the car in a downpour.  A tasty combination of toasted muesli, yogurt and apples went down well.  Our journey continued through hundreds of kilometres of nothingness until we finally reached the sea in Geraldton.  The view was short-lived as the highway cut back inland again.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Jinnie on

Aww – hang in there guys! Travelling can be a tough at times. I know easier said than done but like you said try to take things in stride and try to enjoy!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: