Trip Start Nov 23, 2009
Trip End Apr 22, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Sri Lanka  , Southern,
Sunday, January 17, 2010

When we got back to Hikkaduwa we wanted to go somewhere else. Bill (one of the people who came to Adams Peak) said he was going to Mirissa which is where you can go to see the whales so the next day we went.
It was much quieter in Mirissa, not many bars or hotels but just one big one (really expensive) with a wall around it so you have to walk all the way around to get to the beach.
Bill turned up the day after and we booked the whale watching for the next day.
We got picked up at 6.30am and we went to the harbor, which was well hidden a we didn't know where it was. There were about 8 others on the boat. The sea was quite choppy and I didn't feel so well. It took about an hour to get out to the whales, the water was 2000 meters deep. We saw quite a few whales. Lots of spurting water and some diving. We stayed for about an hour watching them. On the way back in we saw dolphin, flying fish and tuna. We were out for 4 hours.
The next day we went to a snake farm which was in a garage up past a hand written sign that said conservation snake farm. I don't even think it was the mans house as he arrived after us on a motorbike! The man was a medicine man who makes medicine for snake bites but not from anti venom but from natural ingredients. He had a python, cobras, vipers a tree snake and lots of others. He also had a banana spider and a tortoise. We took loads of photos and held the non venomous ones. Sy held the python but it was really heavy so I just held its head!
We decided to do the whale watching again. This time they came a lot closer. To start with they were about 30 feet away then they came right up to the boat, about 5 meters away maybe less. They were huge, bigger than the boat. Some people went swimming with them to get photos but they were too fast. We spent 6 hours in the boat this time, we had a much better time than last time and I didn't feel sick. We saw a fishing boat out there and all the men were naked on it! They were doing there washing by hanging there clothes of the back of the boat into the water.
After that we left Mirissa.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: