A big mountain!

Trip Start Nov 23, 2009
Trip End Apr 22, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  , Central,
Thursday, January 14, 2010

On Thursday we went to Adams Peak with 5 other people in a minibus. We left at 10am and arrived at around 5pm.
To climb Adams Peak it takes anywhere between 2 and 5 hours normally. There's 5200 steps and you usually leave at about 2am to get to the top for sunrise. We left at 1am as one of the women, Sarah, had a bad knee. Its about 7km walk to the top but the whole thing is up hill, up steps.There is lots of tea shops on the way which is good.
Before we left we had a buffet dinner then tried to get some sleep in our van. We only got one room between 7 as we weren't going to sleep. They wanted us to pay for more rooms so said we could only have 2 people at one time sleep in there. A guard came to keep an eye on us to make sure we weren't all sleeping!
At about 1am we started walking. This dog from the hotel followed us all the way up and back down half way and then left us from there. We named him Bob and he would come when you called him.
I found it easy to start with on the gental slop then it got harder. Me and Sy went at a slower pace than everyone else in our group so they went ahead. We ended up walking with this group of Sri Lankans and they had a much better pace with more shorter stops so soon we caught up with everyone else. Right at the top it changes to steep steps with hand rails. It was quite scary looking down. We got about half way up the last section and I didn't want to go any further so we went down to the last tea shop. We were only about 200 meters from the top but it was still 1000 more steps and there was a lot of people so it would have taken about an hour.
We took our clock with a thermometer on with us so we could see how cold it was. It was 15 degrees. We had to put a lot of clothes on.
Sys knee was hurting too so he was glad to go down. This other girl from wales came down and sat with us as she didn't want to go up as well. We had some tea and watched the sunrise from there which was cool.
It had taken 4 hours to get up but only 2 to get down. Sy had seen about an eclipse and had looked it up on the Internet with this guy Matt. It had said 7.50am so we decided to stay to watch it. There wasn't an eclipse so we went down. Once you get down from the steeper steps there's more gradual sloping steps. This part seemed to be a lot longer than we remembered going up!
We left Adams Peak at about 10.30am. We had realized that the website for the eclipse was in GMT time so on the way back to Hikkaduwa we stopped and our taxi driver found us a welding mask to watch it through. It didn't go that dark (you had to be further north for that) but it did get colder.
Everyone was tired so we all slept most of the way back and then slept for 14 hours!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


matti on

yow that looks hard core. What is all this tea you keep drinking? Is it special tea? hehe

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: