Chasing the sun in Croatia since its not in the UK
Trip Start Sep 03, 2003
77Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Apart from a bit of a delay in flight - we nearly had to sit in the plane and wait over an hour before taking off! - everything went quite smoothly. Upon touching down in Split, we decided to continue our journey by getting straight onto the next 4.5 hour bus ride to Dubrovnik.
* Beautiful medieval old town
* A lot of bakeries and pizzeria restaurants - what if one doesn't want to eat pizza, pasta or pastries everyday?
* So called beaches were actually swimming holes where one sunbathes and/or climbs down rock cliffs to get into the water (see photos)
* Had my first dip in the Adriatic Sea
* Smaller more relaxed medieval old town
* I nearly got sucked in to stay at a hostel where according to the guy, "Every night it's happening here. It went off last night and it'll go off again tonight!!" I passed on this knowing I wouldn't get any sleep for one thing and having decided that I'm over those "wild" party scenes
* Best/relaxing moment: Sitting on a swing chair with a view of the old town and the backdrop of mountains and watching time pass in the form of people walking past and ships/yachts/boats sailing past - Bliss...
* I went in search of the famous Zlatni Rat beach - famous not only for it's unique shape but also for the fact that it changes shape and position, depending on the wind....A ferry ride, 30 minute wait, taxi ride with 7 strangers, and a short coastal walk later...I found the beach
* The water seemed even more crystal clear here...Too bad the time constraint of having to return to Split on a certain ferry prevented me from appreciating the sea in this part of Croatia
* Miami/California beach style promenade with lots stylish shops..I was tempted to make this a shopping trip but I stuck to sightseeing and eating instead!
* Fruit & vegie and fish markets were quite nostalgic reminding me of my time in Papua New Guinea.
* Very cool bikini/swimsuit shops..so tempted to buy 10 more bikini sets though I thought realistically as to when I'll have the opportunities to wear them
Summary of trip:
* Beautiful nice hot sunny weather..something I haven't seen/felt for a long time!
* Eating gelato everyday....yes and I mean EVERYDAY, sometimes even 2 a day..there was even one point where I ate two, one after another..and I was close to eating a gelato for breakfast, lunch and dinner
* Easy to get around considering most locals could speak English
* A place worth going for the beach/swimming, sightseeing and culture!
Now I can't wait for my Greek Island hopping trip...