White Out!!!!

Trip Start Aug 17, 2009
Trip End Jun 30, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , District of Columbia
Sunday, December 20, 2009

Well what was set to be an action packed sight seeing extravaganza in the capital turned into a complete snow storm, with the whole city shut down.

We arrived in town and found ourselves a good spot to get some lunch, across the road I spotted a barbershop, so this seemed like a good time & place to complete the removal of the mullet that was cultivated by our friend Laura in Canada.  Looking suitably smart we went to the home of our first host, Nick, a really cool, laid back guy.  Nick is a librarian at the Senate Library, he has a nice apartment in the Capital Hill neighbourhood.  This was a great base, near the subway and bus routes into town.

On our first night we went along with Nick to a couchsurfing meeting in the Columbia Heights neighbourhood.  The meeting was at a hookah bar, a section of the bar was chocked full of local couchsurfing hosts.  Here we also met fellow surfers Nathalia form Columbia & Hugo from Germany, beers were drunk and a good time had by all.  We were given plenty of tips on where to go in DC, a list that was already full!!  Washington is amazing in that most of the museums galleries and monuments are totally free to visit and easy to reach by public transport.

Our first full day in the capital and we managed to see the White House, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument & the Smithsonian Museums.  That night the snow came!  It came down strong and hard all night, about 2 feet fell overnight! 

We woke up to a thick blanket of snow that had completey covered the entire city, the snow was still coming down in large flakes at a very rapid rate.  The city was shutting down, we sat with Nick in his flat watching the news crews announce institutions closing, transport networks shutting down and watched footage of dogs in snow and all the other nonsense they were using to fill their air time.  This was the day we had to leave Nick, he was hoping to fly back to Colorado to spend the holiday season with his family, if the blizzard would let up for any length of time.  We were lucky that our next hosts, Tom & Carey, lived only a 15 minute walk away.

Tom & Carey are a wonderful couple with a beautiful home & two cute young kids.  We were given a comfy sofa bed on the top floor and they left us to it as we went out to play in the snow for 2 days.  During which we accidently broke into the Arlington National Cemetary, beacuse an old lady said it would be fine for us to climb over a side gate and wander around, a security guard disagreed as we walked down from the grave of JFK!

The whole city was deserted, at 6pm on a Saturday night we could not find a restaurant or bar that was open in the entire capital!  We had fun though, and although we did not get to do all the things we wanted it was cool to be there during the heavist snow storms for 23 years.

As we left the snow was starting to thaw, and life was returning to normal.  We were back on the Greyhound, this time we were on time and set for 2 nights in Philly!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: