Whale watch attempt 2 - failed!

Trip Start Sep 08, 2011
Trip End Sep 25, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Nova Scotia,
Wednesday, September 14, 2011

As we planned to go whale watching today, we readied ourselves to catch the 10:30 ferry from East Ferry. JB took sunrise photos while I watched for birds and critters at the cabin. The rabbit was hopping around this morning, and the hummingbird stopped by to check out the red rear reflector on our car which was reflecting the low sunlight! As the time approached for leaving the cabin, it had turned quite breezy, while still foggy, and there was a strong chance the boat wouldn't sail, so we decided not to even try whale watching today.
While taking photographs JB saw a carcass on the beach that looked quite fresh and which he thought might be a deer, although it only appeared to be the rib cage. Do bears catch or eat deer? Maybe it was the cougar!
We decided to go into Digby and have a look around as we had only been there briefly for supermarket shopping. We also wanted to try some of the famous Digby scallops that we keep promising ourselves very time we go to NS.
Driving on the long access road from the cabin to the main road we saw Alan and Janet, a couple from Massachusetts that we had met around the fire pit on Sunday night. They told us about the three bald eagles they had seen near the cabins the previous day feeding on a porpoise carcass on the beach (that solved the mystery of why JB had thought he had only seen a rib cage). Apparently everyone got some really close photos of the eagles, and we missed it because we went to Brier Island. However, while we talking we saw a bald eagle flying over Lake Midway, so although it wasn't a close view I was pleased to have seen it.
We stopped in Gulliver's Cove on the way to Digby, to check it out as a sunset location. You drive past an emu farm in Gulliver's Cove to get to the shore, which was certainly unexpected. We couldn't see any of the emus as we drove past, but we did see several mourning doves, which I have only seen once before. There is an information board near the disused fisherman's huts telling that Gulliver's Cove is named after a ruthless pirate that lived there in the 1700s, and who is rumoured to have buried treasure in the surrounding hills. His wife was from the West Indies (and also a pirate!) and it was said she hated living in NS so she ended up killing him and using his boat to return to her original home.
While JB was taking his photos, I had a little wander round to see what I could see. I noticed a large bird flying along one of the hillsides and followed it with my binoculars. Luckily it was coming towards me, and I was very pleased to see a beautiful osprey flying over. He swooped low over the tide line and continued his journey on the other side of the bay. He made a slight detour near one of the far trees, and I realised that a bald eagle was sitting in the tree, which added to my pleasure.There is a wind farm along the ridge near Gulliver's Cove, and while I applaud NS's use of wind power, I hope these large birds were safe living in such close proximity to the giant blades.
We carried on to Digby for lunch. It was a gloriously sunny day and we parked down by the harbour and walked back through the town, ending up at the Visitor Information bureau. I found out that they have free wi-fi there (and washrooms, which were very welcome) and we decided to come back there after lunch for me to post an update to my travel blog.
Walking back through the town, we saw many places to eat Digby scallops. However, I had read online that O'Neills was the best place to get them, by the harbour side. We went in and chose a table. The staff were very friendly, and I ordered a half pound of sautéed scallops with fries, while JB went for the special of fish, fries and a quarter pound of sautéed scallops. I has fresh lemonade to drink, while JB opted for chocolate milk, which he praised very highly. Although the view isn't great from the restaurant, mainly just overlooking the car park, the food tasted wonderful and we were glad we had chosen to eat there.
We had eaten lunch quite late, and it was about 3:30 when we headed back to the Visitor Information to use the Internet. Things are never as easy as you think they will be, and while I was able to connect to the Internet with no problem, it was taking me forever to actually post a blog entry and some photos. JB took a little nap in the car and I spent the best part of an hour posting the Wolfville entry with some photos. I could tell JB was getting restless, so I left the rest of the posts for a later date and we drove back to the cabin for sunset. Once sunset was over JB returned to the cabin but, still being full from our seafood lunch, we only had a light snack before settling down to our regular night time pursuits of reading by torchlight (JB) and listening to an audiobook on the iPod (me). I think we might be getting old!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: