Sunbathing, Surfing and a Tad of Sunburn!

Trip Start Nov 29, 2012
Trip End May 10, 2015

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Monday, May 13, 2013

Since leaving Melbourne, I had been travelling up the Coast by train, unlike the majority of my fellow backpackers who had chosen the Greyhound Bus. I confess, I hate buses with a passion. And yes, I am aware that makes me the snobbiest backpacker on the planet. Oh well. And the train had been so comfy, nearly always reliable and a good source of meeting Aussie vagrants with some great stories to tell. However, on this stint of my journey, the train just wasn't practical in that it didn’t stop at the coastal resorts and I would have to rely on public transport to get to places such as Rainbow Beach or Hervey Bay. So with a heavy heart, I bought a bus pass between Brisbane and Cairns with a crappy bus company called Premier Bus which was significantly cheaper than the Greyhound. Admittedly, I didn’t get off to the best of starts, I got a severe yelling at from the bus driver for not 'checking in’ half an hour before boarding the bus. He demanded why I hadn’t bothered reading my ticket where it clearly stated that this was the case. In my defence however, the silly woman who had printed off my ticket had obviously done it on a rubbish printer and the small print was so faint I could barely read it. One telling off later, I was on my way and arrived at Noosa late in the afternoon. I had been told there was a shuttle bus that was going to come and collect me from the bus station but the grumpy bus driver who had shouted at me earlier was completely useless and pointed me in the wrong direction and I ended up lost in a wood with all my luggage?! 

Only muggins here could manage such a feat!

Ten minutes later and another disgruntled bus driver later, I arrived at my hostel. Surfer Alex had told me that the hostel was awesome and I was very lucky to even get a room as it was hugely popular. It was very easy to see why, it was a very traditional old house that had been converted into backpacker accomodation and everyone was really friendly. Surfer Alex and his posse, two guys from Jersey, a bloke from Devon and another from Cornwall were really cool and we spent the first evening hanging out and drinking tea. My first impressions of Noosa was what I imagined Byron Bay to be like before it had become so commercial. It was evidently a place that had plenty of money, there were luxury apartments, expensive clothes shops and posh looking restaurants on every corner. But it wasn’t littered with backpacker hostels, travel shops and cheap bars and was very quiet. I could see instantly why so many backpackers chose to stop here for a while, especially in comparison to Byron Bay which to me although beautiful, was brash and focused solely on drinking and partying and other such bogan behaviour! Tsk tsk!

On my second day in Noosa, it was overcast in the morning but I went for a wander down to the beach which was a beautiful cove with a rock jetty splitting it in half. It was just on the cusp of the National Park which was my next stop. The views were truly stunning across the bay and within a couple of hours, the weather improved significantly and the sun eventually came out. It was like an island paradise with mangrove trees and palm trees lining the beaches. It was very peaceful and I spent a few minutes just sitting at Tea Tree Bay looking out into the ocean. It was a two hour round trip through the park to reach Hell’s Gates at Noosa Heads which was the peninsula looking out into the expanse of the ocean beyond. I found it very relaxing and felt the first sense of calm since my ordeal at the farm.

In the afternoon, I went for a walk round the shops before meeting the guys around sunset at the beach. As I was walking along, I got chatting to a former professional photographer who asked if he could take pictures of me on the beach, for free! I was quite chuffed as they came out pretty well, considering the material he had to work with! Oh dear!

The following day dawned hot and sunny and a big group of us headed off to Sunshine Beach. If you’re an avid reader of my blog, you’ll know that my previous attempts at surfing have been pretty much the personification of epic fail and I almost always end up looking like a bedraggled mess. Apart from anything else, I wanted to look half decent as there were plenty of hot boys to eye up at the beach. Talking of attractive men, the hostel was full of them! To my amazement, even in the supermarket there were lots of hot surfers meandering around topless. Muggins here couldn’t believe my luck! Sadly there were plenty of annoyingly tall, girl surfers to cater for these insanely beautiful men but there was certainly no harm in having a cheeky gander….right?

Unfortunately for me however, my plans in trying to look vaguely appealing to these handsome boys was somewhat thwarted in the fact that I had recently started using a gradual tanner for my face as it was still very pale in comparison to the rest of me. It claimed to have SPF15 in it which I would usually wear on my face anyway but either I didn’t apply it properly or it didn’t actually have any SPF in it at all because yours truly here ended up burnt in between the eyebrows and all the way down my nose. Classic. And to add insult to injury, I had very obvious white marks round my eyes where I had been wearing my sunglasses! Needless to say, I looked a tad of a tool and rather than getting the ‘glad eye’ as my grandmother would say, I instead was given looks of sympathy from passing boys! Oh dear! At the time of writing, my face is still looking a tad odd. In the evening, I got chatting to Mikkal, an insanely attractive Danish breakdancer staying in the hostel. Surprisingly he didn’t seem too fussed that my face looked like a burnt badger’s bum. He was also going to study architecture and came across as a thoroughly nice chap. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere he mentioned he had a girlfriend in Denmark. She also happened to look like a supermodel. How depressing. I gave up and went to bed, perhaps I am destined to be forever alone after all. Sigh.

My last day in Noosa was a washout. It literally rained all day and it was bloody freezing. Even though it is technically going to be winter here soon in Australia, I had hoped it was going to at least be dry and vaguely warm. It was the first day since arriving here over six months ago that I was wearing tights and a hoody in a bid to stay warm.

I’m about to embark on my third and hopefully final stint of regional work tomorrow in the rainforest.

Will keep y’all posted! :)
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: