Time for some fun in the sun!

Trip Start Sep 22, 2006
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Uruguay  ,
Monday, December 4, 2006

I woke up ready for my journey to Uruguay. Looked at my watch. AHH my ferry leaves in 10 minutes. So I grabbed all of my things chucked them in my bag. No time for a shower so grabbed my hat to cover my not so sexy bed hair. Well that was the plan, but I was rushing so much that I dropped my hat in the toilet, sh*t!!
I finally made it to the ferry, they rushed me through customs just in time to board, pheew!
The ferry was massive and the journey was beautiful. Although I must say I missed the clear blue waters of Patagonia. I got off the ferry ready to be picked up by my friend Martin (who I met in Rome). Bursting with excitement we set off to Martins dads farm in Cufre. The drive through the country side was beautiful, somewhat like an Australian countryside, but much greener and lush (well from what I remember). We got to a tiny town and Martin pulled over and handed me the keys. I donīt think the poor guy knew what he was getting himself into! After driving only 3 times in the last year and a half and only once on this side of the road. I was a little scared myself. Driving along the dirt roads of Uruguay I was starting to feel pretty comfortable and Marty looked much less tense. We were talking away and before I knew it I had come off the road. No harm done!

We arrived at Martinīs dads farm. What a sweet place. The brickwork was yellow and the tin roof and window shutters were green. (Green and gold, they way things should be!) There was even a tennis court and Martin challenged me to a match. Poor boy, once again he didnīt know what he was getting himself into. Within the first 10 minutes all three balls had gone flying way over the fence. We played for an hour or so and then it was time to relax. Marty did a smart thing and bought me along a book, so I spent the rest of the afternoon spread out in a hammock, drinking mango flavored pisco, amongst the tall skinny trees.
We walked across the farm to a big pile of rocks where we sat and watched the sunset. As we walked back to the farm in the dark the ground was lit up by fireflies. It was so beautiful, like little fairy lights everywhere.

The next day Marty saddled up the horses, which I was shocked to learn didnīt even have names. So I called the big horse ītoastadoī (because it was the colour of toast) and the little black horse īnigraī. Somehow I ended up on big scary Toastado. I had spent the last half an hour or so talking away to him, hoping and praying we would become friends and that would prevent him from throwing me off his back. We started our journey into the wide open farm. It was beautiful. My abbs were hurting from trying to hold on and Martyīs abbs were hurting from laughing at the ridiculous look on his Aussie mates face.

I spent the rest of the time relaxing with my new book. It was the best place to come and recuperate. I had two amazing nights sleep, waking up with an entire room and an entire double bed all to myself. A week away from hostels and camping mats. Best ever!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: