Sunlander Train Journey

Trip Start Dec 24, 2009
Trip End Apr 02, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Sunlander Train

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Sunlander Train Journey 16 – 17 March 2010

After another rainy day on Hamilton Island, we got the 1710 ferry back to the mainland only to find ourselves stranded at Shute Harbour with absolutely nothing there except black storm clouds and a 2 hour wait until our bus arrived! A bus did pull up and we thought the driver said he would take us to the railway station, but promptly threw us off at Airlie Beach just 10 minutes down the road!   We decided the safest option was to get a taxi to Prosperine train station, surely there must be a cafe or something there.  Haha, wrong again, just me and Stuart on the platform with neon lighting, crickets, moths and cockroaches for company and a very grumpy, actually quite scary train worker who shut the ticket office door on us telling us we had a 2 hour wait until the train arrived!

After a little while, the grump crawled out of his hole and said he would take our suitcases if we wanted to walk into town.  Desperate to get away, we agreed and walked in pitch black into Prosperine.  At 7pm everything was shut, including bars and hotel!  We did find one bar that was open thankfully and had the cheapest drinks we had had all holiday, plus got to watch Top Gear with the locals!  At least it passed the time!

Back to the station and the Sunlander pulled in at 8.50pm.  We were shown to our cabin and then offered a cheese platter and red wine in the lounge where a guy was singing and playing the guitar!  At last civilisation – or at least that's what we thought!

Unfortunately the bunkbeds weren’t quite so civilised and after a small argument over who would be on top (me unfortunately!), we both had a terrible night where we hardly slept a wink with all the bumping and rattling of the train!

The next day, there was only us and another couple left, and we had a lovely cooked  breakfast and then just watched the world go by.  The guitarist came back and played some music before lunch and it was very relaxing.  We arrived in Brisbane around 3.45pm after a very interesting journey!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Peter & Barbara on

You do have fun!! The rain dance appears to be working well again. Look on the bright side - you have'nt been bitten, stung or eaten yet.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: