A bit of the family past

Trip Start Aug 27, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  , Java,
Monday, November 7, 2011

Heading for Indonesia today! After getting up and packing our stuff we headed for the tube back to Changi Airport. After checking in Stu fancied some dim sum so had some lunch before our flight. On the way to the gate we saw the free foot massage machines which Stu had been wanting to try out. Unfortunately for him the one he picked didn't work but I had a lovely massage!

The flight wasn't full and seeing you have to pay for the emergency exits they were all empty but one of the flight attendants asked if we wanted to sit there so got a bit of extra leg room for free! 

When we got off the plane we arrived at the smallest arrivals hall I'd ever been to. It was literally a room about 10 meters long with 2 customs booths. When we got to the front we got told to get a visa at the visa booth. As we had no US dollars or Indonesian Rupiah with us the customs guy walked Stu to an ATM outside past customs without officially letting him into the country but just to get the cash. We picked up our bags from the worlds smallest baggage claim (imagine a whole in the wall from outside to the baggage claim and add a 2 meter belt and that was it!) and got a taxi. At this point we didn't really know the value of the Rupiah but a taxi cost 40,000 and seeing there was no other option we got it. Once finally in the taxi we looked up the value and the 20 min journey cost us 2.80! Not bad huh!

The reason I wanted to go to Bandung was because my dad was born there and my family lived here until moving to Holland. The hotel in Bandung we are staying at is the Savoy Homann which is when my nan was young she used to go dancing here so it's very interesting to see where they used to go. Our room is modern and overlooking the pool. As our feet were still killing us from walking around Singapore for 3 days we took it easy and just relaxed in the room until dinner. 

For dinner we ordered a "rijst tafel" which consists of many side dishes served in small portions, accompanied by rice and it was yummy but sooo much! First we started of with spring rolls followed by a chicken, egg, coconutty soup, might sound weird but really good! After that we thought maybe one more dish and then dessert but no.. A big tray arrived with 5 dishes on there all really good but way to much so after not finishing that they still brought dessert which was a fruit platter and a pudding. It looked and tasted like custard pudding but Stu thought it had the consistency of puke so after that thought we stuck to the fruit! As Stu wasn't feeling to great he headed to bed , I checked out some stuff online and then went up as well.

The following day when we woke up Stu was feeling worse so after a quick breakfast we got some medicine at the shop and stu had a hot bath trying to make him feel better. It then started pouring so waited for the rain to stop and headed out to see the house my nan used to live in. We got a taxi for a couple hours as it was so cheap to do that. We explained to the taxi driver that my dads side of the family is Indonesian and that they used to live in Bandung, not sure how much he understood but he was nice anyways. Stopped off at a bakery and tried some of the cakes that I remembered from being younger but none were as good as my nan and granddad used to make! 

From here we went on to see the house and it was very surreal to be there. The family who lives there now have a dentist surgery there and outside they had a guard which apparently is quite common. Took a few pictures and looked around outside. It started to rain pretty quickly after getting there so weren't there for very long but very happy I did get to see it.

We got back into the taxi to see the Angklung.  This is a Sudanese traditional bamboo musical concert performed by a group of children with colorful clothes and beautiful dances. Saung Angklung Udjo also presents a selections of bamboo art performances and traditional dances such as Tari Topeng (Mask Dances), Wayang Golek demonstration (puppet show) and much more. We were there for a few hours and the kids that performed were very endearing and very good at what they did. There was also the son of the man that started the Udjo and he thought all the people there to play the Angklung which was fun to do. We did even look at buying one but how we would have taken that travelling through Australia would have been a bit to much of a challenge.

We got back to the hotel early in the evening so had some dinner and went to bed for an early flight onto Bali!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: