No I don't want a suit but I'll have a massage!

Trip Start Aug 27, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
First 2 nights at the Shanti Lodge & 3 nts at Rambuttri Village Inn, Bangkok
What I did

Flag of Thailand  , Bangkok,
Saturday, September 10, 2011

After a long and bumpy flight with a short stop at Singapore airport we arrived in rainy Bangkok around 9 in the morning. Took a taxi to the Shanti Lodge, had some breakfast and luckily the room was ready. The Shanti Lodge is a very colourful and friendly place. We had booked two nights in a room with aircon but the aircon wasn't to powerful, or you can say hardly working..  but also had a fan. We meant to go out but had a shower and fell asleep for a few hours. The rest of the day we just lounged around had a walk and had our first Thai dinner of the trip! After dinner we moved on to another first of the trip, massage!

Next day we took a taxi to the weekend market which is the largest market I've ever seen, mostly Thai people were walking around and they sold everything from food & drinks to bags, clothes, homeware to blowdried puppies and kittens! After walking around for a few hours we decided to take the tube/metro to the Siam Centre (a massive indoor shopping centre with the biggest foodcourt) had some lunch here and had a look for a battery charger for my camera that we cleverly forgot.. Couldn't actually find one so we left. Took a taxi to Khao San Rd to catch the Wales - SA rugby game. After the game we walked down Khao San Rd and a few of the roads surrounding. Fun to walk around but you can't walk 2 meters without someone asking you "would you like a suit/clothes/food/pingpong show"

As the Shanti Lodge was a bit far from everywhere we moved to the Rambuttri Village Inn, a few streets from Khao San Rd. A nice street with lots of restaurants, guesthouses and a lot more relaxed than KS rd. First evening Stu decided to have a Thai massage while I had a pedicure (all sooo cheap! 150baht=3 pounds!) when he came back from his massage he looked like a beaten up man and felt like one too!

On one off the following days we did a day trip to the Bridge over River Kwai. We got picked up from the hotel at 7 and took a mini bus up which took about 2.5hrs. We first arrived at a war cemetery where we had 20 min to walk around and got told to do it quietly. When we got back to the bus the tour guide lady started shouting at 2 Japanese girls who apparently been loud. She was one scary lady! On we went to the war museum which is one off the weirdest museums I've been to. It seemed like they had just put some old stuff among the museum stuff like 10 year old tvs etc. From there it was a 5 min walk to the bridge but on the way there was a man with 2 leopard cubs. 100baht to take a picture and I couldn't resist! Part of me felt bad for the cubs and part of me couldn't believe I was having a cuddle with a leopard! We then took a few pictures on the bridge and waited for the train to arrive to take us across the Death Railway. It took about 1.5hrs and it's unbelievable to think they built this by hand. When we got off the train we had some lunch and drove a bit further to a waterfall. What we didn't know was that out of the 10 people on the tour only 3 (inc us) were to go back after the waterfall and the rest of the group went on trekking. So in, what seemed to us, the middle of  nowhere we got kicked out of the van and told where to go to see the waterfall and to be back in 30 minutes to catch a different van back to Bangkok. The waterfall was nice but seeing we had to be back in 30 minutes we didn't really want to jump in the water and get our clothes wet, even though it looked inviting. We had a stroll around and went back to where the lady said the van would be and indeed a van was waiting. It took us 3hrs to get back to Bangkok. That evening we booked our transfer to Koh Chang as after a few days Bangkok we wanted to see some beaches!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: