Costa Rica Mission Trip 2011
Trip Start Jun 15, 2008
27Trip End Jun 19, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
1915 Hotel Alajuela
Read my review - 5/5 stars
Read my review - 5/5 stars
What I did
My daughter and I traveled to Costa Rica June 22-30, 2011 to do mission work with an UMVIM group from South Carolina who are an extraordinary group of people. It is an amazing experience. Below is our itinerary while we are in Costa Rica:
Friday, July 22:
- Arrive in San Jose around 1:00 p.m. where we are greeted by missionary Wil Bailey. We load our bus and then drive 5 minutes into Alajuela to eat lunch at Las Delicias del Maiz. This was the first of many great meals.
- After lunch, we check into our accommodations, Hotel 1915, where we stay for the remainder of our time in Alajuela.
- We load the bus and travel to our worksite, the parsonage of Douglas (pronounced Do-glass), Yamilette, and their children, Dougie, Danny, Donny, and Daniela.
- We eat dinner at Douglas' church prepared by Wil's wife, Yolanda, and other women in the church.
- After dinner, we walk up the street to Pops to get some delectable icecream. We do this almost every night after dinner, because the icecream is so good.
- We head back to our hotel and have our evening devotional.
Saturday, July 23, and Monday, July 25 through Thursday, July 28:
- We wake up and enjoy and incredible breakfast cooked by Daisy and her staff around 7:00 a.m. and then morning devotional at 7:30 a.m. each morning.
- We arrive at our work site and work from 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 to 5:00 p.m. Our work includes installing electrical wiring, hanging sheet rock, mudding, plastering, and adding a indoor garden.
- While on this trip, I celebrate my 44th birthday and have "Happy Birthday" sang to me 4 times. The first time is by the women in Douglas' church on the day me and a group of women on my team go over teach the women in the church how to crochet bags out of recycled plastic bags. The second and third times are by the people on my team before morning devotional and during our lunch break, and the fourth time is at dinner by a team from Florida who was also at the church to do mission work. It is a birthday experience I will never forget.
Sunday, July 24:
- We wake up and have breakfast.
- After breakfast, we head to Douglas' church for service, and then eat lunch.
- We head back to our hotel to get ready for our trip to the Doka Estates Coffee Tour.
- We arrive at Doka Estates and are greeted by our tour guide and a small cup of ice coffee that tastes more like Kahlua and Cream. On the tour, we learn about the production, the harvesting, the processing and the roasting of the grain. After the tour we visit the souvenir shop and sample different flavors of coffee and shop for other items, such as hammocks, wood carvings, stationary, jewelry, and t-shirts.
- While at the Doka Estates, we visit the Coffee Butterfly Garden where we see up to 15 different species of butterflies.
- Later in the evening, we eat dinner at the church and then go back to our hotel for evening devotional.
Friday, July 29:
- We wake up and have breakfast and then load the bus for La Fortuna.
- Our drive to La Fortuna takes us through several towns and spectacular mountainous scenery.
- We arrive at Arenal Paraiso Resort and Spa to zipline on 12 platforms with cables over 350 meters long and 80 meters high.The resort is located in the Northern Area of Costa Rica, right in front of the Arenal Volcano and just 2 and a half hours away from San Jose. The views from the zip lines allows us to admire the beautiful surroundings. It is the perfect combination of nature and adventure.
- After lunch, we drive into town and eat lunch at Lava Rocks. I start off with a blackberry smoothie, then enjoy an appetizer of cervachie, then finish it off with chicken nachos and a cold, refreshing Coke. I know I over did it, but it was worth every calorie.
- With only 45 minutes to shop, our team disperses to get a few gifts before heading back.
- On our drive back, we stop at a church with a landscaped garden to take a few pictures. and then again at some road-side shops.
Saturday, July 30:
- We head to the airport around 5 a.m. to catch our early morning flight.
My Review Of The Place I Stayed