Trip Start Jun 15, 2008
30Trip End Jun 19, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Saturday, December 26:
- Flew from Atlanta to Miami to Montego Bay
- Took the Jamaican Tour bus from the airport to our hotel. Cost $40 for a 1 1/2 hour drive with one stop at a road-side bar to use the restroom and purchase a Red Stripe beer for the road
- Arrived at our hotel, the Gran Bahia Principle in Runaway Bay
- Checked in, changed clothes and went to dinner at the main restaurant Orquidea. A buffet style restaurant with a different international theme cuisine every night. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It was a Jamaican theme tonight and I tried goat, which was surprisingly good.
- After dinner, we went to the lobby bar Daiquiri for drinks and to listen to a local reggae band
- Around 10 p.m., we went to the Theatre Tropicana in the Pueblo Principe to watch a live show of performers who danced to a variety of different selections.
Sunday, December 27:
- Slept until noon and then headed to the snack bar Piscis for lunch and enjoyed a live reggae band.
- Headed to the beach to relax and soak up sun.
- Later in the afternoon while the sun was setting, went kayaking. Free watersports include kayaking, paddle boats, wind-surfing, and the catamaran. Scuba diving equipment rental was available, also.
- Had dinner at the Grill. Reservation required.
Monday, December 28:
- Left the hotel at 8:30 a.m. to do the Chukka Zipline Canopy. Cost $80 to do 9 tranverses, from 105 feet to 660 feet apart, through the Laughlands River gorge which took approximately 2 hours. (This time does not include transfer time and zipline training.)
- Arrived back at the hotel around noon
- Had lunch at the snack bar Piscis and dinner at Orquidea
Tuesday, December 29:
- Left the hotel shortly after 8:00 a.m. to visit Dunn's River Falls. It took approximately 20 minutes to get to the falls. Another couple and I were the first people in the park and the first group to hike up the falls with a tour guide named Bird. It took approximately an hour. We made many stops along the way for Bird to take our pictures with our on cameras. STRONGLY RECOMMEND getting to the falls early because as we were leaving there were bus loads of people coming in. You will also need to bring wet shoes to hike the falls. But if you don't have them, you can purchase them in the park for under $10.
- After hiking the falls, we shopped at the Craft Market. BEWARE! If you don't like pushy people, don't go here. If you don't mind, then remember that you can bargin for everything.
- Left the falls and headed to Ochio Rios for shopping
- Had lunch at the snack bar
- Had dinner at the Italian restaruant Dolce Vita with an ocean view . Reservations required.
- Went shopping at Pueblo Principe- the on-site shopping center. There are approximate 10 shops in the plaza for souviners- t-shirts, Blue Mountain Coffee, Jamaican rum, candles, jewlry, resort clothing items. T-shirts with run you about $17 or more. However, other items were very resonable.
Wednesday, December 30:
- Checked out of the hotel and took a taxi back to the airport. The taxi cost $80. We arrived at the airport approximately 2 hours before our flight. Very easy to check in and go through Customs at the airport.