101 ways to eat a baguette

Trip Start Oct 09, 2006
Trip End Sep 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of French Polynesia  ,
Thursday, December 14, 2006

After a 4 hour delay at LAX for which we were compensated with a dodgy cheap pizza, we flew to Tahiti.
It was boiling when we arrived, we changed into shorts, changed some money and checked t'internet for how to get across to Moorea, the island where our digs where.
We took a taxi to the ferry, Sharon turned green on the ferry ride across to Moorea, then we got the local bus which was already rammed with people and squeezed ourselves and our backpacks on as well.
Camp Nelson was basic, we spent most days only venturing as far as just outside our room to the lagoon, or just further down the road to get a baguette with Jam, Ham, or cheese to eat for breakfast lunch or dinner.
We both got quickly sunburned and had to swim with Tshirts on for a while.
The food in the restaurants was very good, and we saw a show at a traditional village, where the locals showed us how to open a coconut, Sharon was dragged on stage to help.
There are Chickens everywhere, and they don't stop with the cock a doodle dooing all night and all day. Their numbers were reduced by one when a local dog pounced from behind a hedge and after a sprint and chase caught a chick before our eyes.
We decided to upgrade to a right hole of a place further along the island. Our bedroom faced the car park, whenever a car came in the lights came right through the door lighting up the room.
The chickens did their usual thing during the night, But the dogs join in around here.
Further around the Island is a smalled island called Motu-ahi. Here we snorkeled in the lagoon, I pointed out a couple of black tip sharks to shaz and this seemed to unsettle her somewhat. I could tell this by the way she almost garroted me grabbing my T shirt collar trying to clamber onto me and out of the water. The stingrays had a similar effect.
Late in the first night we awoke to strange scratching noises. I grabbed a torch, we thought maybe a few cockroaches or something. Next thing the torch shines on a massive crab, which immediately stops his scurrying and stays still. Still bleary from sleep, we just watched him for a minute. Slowly, the crab edged toward the wall, still looking at us, and tried to claw some of the reeds that make up the wall out of the way.
I plucked up enough courage to grab a sandal and knock him along a bit toward the door, he took the hint and ran sideways out the door.
In the morning we found a hole behind the sink where he must have come from so I blocked it with a large rock.
The next night, the same scurrying noises, I put the torch on the crab. The crab stopped as before, but this time as I stepped out of the bed he raised his big claw and made a dash for me. I jumped back into bed to get out of his way, grabbed the sandal and, feeling braver with the weapon, herded him outside again.
We checked the rock, it had been moved out of the way by the crab, maybe that was why he was pissed off.
We left out the following morning, paid the extortionate bill and headed to the airport and Rarotonga.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: