A bit of culture

Trip Start Jun 03, 2010
Trip End Mar 29, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  , Nakhon Ratchasima,
Thursday, December 2, 2010

Jai nips out to the 7/11 for an early coffee and we lie in bed and watch Forrest Gump before going down for breakfast.  Head out at 09:00 and walk to the National Museum.  It is already hot today and looks like getting hotter under a clear blue sky.  The museum was quite interesting and well signed in English.  Like all large museums there were good bits and bad bits and some galleries you couldnt get through quick enough.  Housed in an old royal palace the building themselves were also quite interesting.  The Bhhuddhaisavan Chapel houses an important Buddha image and Jai was pleased to go here and pay her respects whilst I sat looking around the impressive hall.  Next door to the chapel is another large building that houses the royal funeral carts which transport the bodies of dead royals to the crematoriums and then the urn of ashes back for safe keeping.  They were golden and enormous and impressive if a few of the charred bits had been tidied up !  The museum is well worth a visit.  After a couple of hours at the museum we returned to the guest house to cool off before going to our noodle shop for lunch again.  The food here is really good but reading from the wall mounted menu would probably put off most people.  The noodles are based around beef entrails, liver, heart, gut and stewed tendons !!  Tastes good anyway.  A quick return to the guest house then off to the National Theatre in time for the 13:00 start to the show.  Today the show began with a 30 minute presentation of photos of the king and his family.  Jai loves anything to do with the royals and loved this bit.  Then the classical show started and today it was a little light hearted and agin she seemed to be enjoying it and laughing along with everyone.  Then all of a sudden I noticed that she had gone quiet and looking around found that in thew darknewss and aircon she had actually gone to sleep !!  It was obviously time to leave then getting a coffee on our way back returned to the room at the guest house.  We checked out at 17:30 then ate a sandwich before taking a taxi back to the bus station.  The traffic was worse than usual and it took more than 1 hour for the often 20 minute journey.  The city was looking good, especially around the palace, where all of threes had coloured lghts in their branches and everywhere was lit up in preparation for the Kings birthday.  Our bus left pretty well on time at 20:10 and made our midway stop about midnight.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: