Gili: Oh my they were good pancakes!

Trip Start Mar 16, 2012
Trip End Sep 14, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  , West Nusa Tenggara,
Saturday, May 19, 2012

We had arranged through a tour operator, transport to get from Ubud to the Gili islands just off of Lombok, as it was cheaper than what we could do ourselves. We were meant to be picked up at 7am to take us to the port for a 9am boat. Well at 8am we were still waiting, so Sarah decides I am the best person to go to the tour operator and sort it out. It was shut but the security guard walked me around to the buses office and after some discussion I work out the bus was waiting outside the wrong hotel! We finally got a bus that got us to the port at around 10am. As we had missed the boat they offered to put us on the next one, but it would involve an overnight stay on Lombok at our own expense and Sarah had booked onto a Padi course the next day so we had to get to Gili. The other option was to pay an extra 200,000r (14 pounds) to get on the fast boat. No one, mainly the bus company was taking responsibility for this and the boat people didn't want to help anymore, so I said I would speak to the bus company. They replied 'it won't help'. Now I admit here I take after my Dad a bit and in this case it works in my favor, because I didn't take no for an answer and eventually managed to speak to them and got on the fast boat for a minimal fee. Problem sorted. It was a choppy 90 minute boat ride across. When we arrived at the island we made our way to our hostel, it was great apart from it was boiling hot and there were places where lizards and insects could get in, and I don't need anymore insect bites!  After dinner we looked for another place to stay.

The next morning at 8am we made our way to the new place, but the room wasn't ready, with Sarah needing to start her dive course it was up to me to stay and wait for the room to move in. By 11am I walked down to the beach. The beach isn't the nicest, but it was my home for 4 days and I didn't get burnt!!!!!! However, by every afternoon the wind picks up and sand whips into me. It took forever to get sand out of my ears.

There isn't much else for me to say apart from I am more tanned when I left, by the fourth day I was bored and the food was great. In the evening we went to a little food market, to get some cheap eats. For pud you could get pancakes. They were massive, they were more like cakes. Needless to say we went back every night. Chocolate and coconut is soooo good. Another thing and something I don't like, drugs are everywhere. I have been reading this book about Bali's prison and the westerners locked up there on drugs charges. Why anyone would take drugs let alone in Indonesia is beyond me.

After 4 days we made our way back to Bali, by boat, mini van, boat (felt a little sea sick) and mini van and 10 hours later we arrived in Kuta, the nasty part of Bali, but close to the airport. Tomorrow we fly to Thailand, where on Sunday (27th May) I will be spending my 23rd Birthday on Ko Phi Phi, home of 'The Beach'.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: