Ode to the flight of freaks

Trip Start Feb 28, 2006
Trip End Mar 16, 2006

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Well I have made it to the lovely and much bigger than I thought Hawaii. I am currently in Ewa Beach on Oahu. I am actually staying with a friend from CMU, Amiee Huepenbecker that was a fellow climber. She has been here since 2001. I realized that I had not seen here in 5 years and we picked up right where we left off. She works for the Navy here as a marketing coordinator. I flew into Chicago on tuesday and boarded a plane that was marked for some very interesting individuals. Thank goodness that the flight was not full. I was sitting next to this man that needed to sing with his MP3 player the entire flight. I now know all the words to every Wham song! I got 2 seats to myself and tried to sleep, but I was struggling with both Mr. Wham and the wife that would not shut up. The woman across the isle not only had a frog in her throat but applied make-up about 4 times during the flight and had her "extra lashes" on here compact. It freaked me out at first because I thought it was a giant spider that she did not see, woops my mistake.
When I landed I was working my sandals over my newly expanded "cankles" (where your ankles and calves meet due to swelling...hot none the less) and made my way to the luggage pick-up.I looked out the window at this point and saw my first Hawaiian Mullet. Awesome! Huepy was there to greet me with a la i of purple flowers and a hug. At the luggage area I felt a scratching on my butt and turned to find a dog howling at me. They have dogs sniffing for fruits and plants that may be brought to the island. I had trail mix in my bag and he was all over it. I was impressed to say that least. We made our way out of the terminal and it was only 3pm (I felt like it was midnight) and went to downtown Honolulu to a lovely establishment called Brew Moon where I we sampled a lovely number of Hawaiian brews. I have started to learn the language here. To eat is "Kau Kau (cow cow)" and appetizers are "Pu Pu"...so I Kau Kaued some Pu Pu's...makes for a good conversation huh? I made some phone calls to rub in that I was actually here. amazing that I have better reception in the middle of the ocean than I do in Michigan.
After leaving the pub we sat in traffic for about an hour and half due to an accident. The traffic is crazy here and people freak out when it rains, evidently they think that if they turn their hazards on that it makes driving better. Crazy! I thought at this point that I should have gotten toothpicks at the pub to keep my eyes open. Huepy was playing Native music for atmosphere, but it was a bit relaxing to say that least. we got to here town home (which is adorable) and I preceded to take a shower and climb in bed at 7:57pm. Yeah I was out.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


parent on

so glad that you've landed safely!
Great to hear from you today!you sound better-a little more rested..love the journal on your events-jot down all the hot spots so when your dad & I go...we'll know where to travel-soak up the sun & rest up-be safe and we look forward to your next entry and photos!
love the parents &grandma xoxoxo
march 1-remember 16 years ago??

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: