Under The Sea

Trip Start Sep 10, 2012
Trip End Sep 08, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Sunday, November 18, 2012

Today we were up early once again, ready and excited for our trip to the Great Barrier Reef. We had booked our tour with Quiksilver Silversonic and arranged one introductory dive for me (Steph) and three certified dives for the pro aka Dave. We made our way down to the picturesque Port Douglas mariner where we met the very friendly and cheerful crew for the day and boarded the boat with some free complimentary muffins. As always we got stuck into the paperwork and signed a few deeds for the day's activities and then we were off on our way sailing to Agincourt Reef some 33km off shore. The sun was beaming down and the water was turquoise which made it a glorious day and we both couldn't wait to get stuck in and jump in to explore the exotic marine life. As Dave hadn't dived for a good ten years, an instructor advised him to start with an introductory dive to get him back in the swing of things which was great as he could now come down with me too on my one dive. We had a pretty long briefing session going through all the skills and necessary info before we went through to the back of the boat to get kitted up. As it's jellyfish season we firstly had to put on an all in one black Lycra suit to prevent any stings, then flippers, a mask, weights and our all important oxygen tank. Apart from the suit, everything was fixed to us whilst we were sitting down and when the time came to get up, with the weights round my waist and tank on my bank, I literally could not stand up. Dave pulled me up and managed to hold my upright which was just as well or I'd have easily fallen flat on my back. No-one warned me about the tanks being so heavy! It was then time to jump in with one big step into the water and a leap for the rope which we initially had to hold onto. It was at this point that Dave spotted a turtle beneath us which I unfortunately missed because I was trying to breathe and focus on not sinking. I was also suddenly terrified at this point and began to freak about breathing under water and going too deep. Dave was happy as larry though, waving at me and signalling to me with the standard underwater 'ok' sign. I was not having such a good time though as the idea of breathing under water was not coming so naturally to me as I originally hoped for and as I found it more and more difficult and weird, I decided I didn't want to go through with it and got out to avoid holding up the rest of the group. I then got de-kitted and felt a million times lighter and instead jumped in to go off for a snorkel and spy for an underwater Dave.

The snorkelling was amazing as I leisurely swam around spying lots of cool fishes and coral as well as many divers beneath me. Eventually Dave emerged with a massive grin across his face having absolutely loved his intro into diving again and he couldn't wait to get out again for his next two. He was then off and ready jumping into the ocean on dive number two, which was a drift dive, where I watched him disappear into the sea whilst we snorkellers got dropped into a different part. This time round I spotted a giant clam and loads of little clown fishes as well as swimming amongst jellyfish, which was a bit scary. I also spotted Dave slowly beginning his ascent, which i thought was strange and as he reached the surface, I met him only to find out he'd almost run out of air so we both hopped back on the boat for a spot of lunch instead. It was on that dive that he was lucky enough to see a white tip reef shark and was more than thrilled with his find.

Dave had one more drift dive of the day in the afternoon in a new location on the reef whilst I took part in a guided snorkel tour where I learnt a lot of interesting things about the coral and even the names of the fishes that we had been seeing which was very enjoyable. It was then time to get back on the boat whilst they counted us all back in to ensure they didn't leave anyone behind and we set off to return to shore admiring the scenery and enjoying the warm afternoon sun. After a long day of swimming around we were both knackered and chilled back at our campsite with a nice cold beer whilst discussing our awesome fish and coral finds of the day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Gill on

I'm heartened to read this.. You have joined the elite along with your two aunties

Mum(k) on

Glad you both had a good time amongst the fishes take care xxx

The boss on

Do the clown fish have big red noses!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: