From Petersburg (Alaska) to Vancouver (Canada)

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Friday, August 17, 2012

The ferry left Petersburg at 4am for an eleven  & half hour trip to Ketchikan.   We stood out on deck, it was sooooo beautiful, there was a mist & low cloud hovering over the water & the early morning sun-rays, appearing above the mountains.  The captain carefully navigated the ferry through a very narrow part of the Inside Passage, suitably called 'The Narrows' & went via Wrangell.  We docked for an hour so rode our bikes into town, even though everything was closed as it was only 8:00am. On arrival  in Ketchikan, it was raining, which wasn't surprising, as it rains about 330 days of the year & precipitation is about 14 feet per year. However for the next 3 days the weather fined up and no rain ... magnificent!!!The RV park was 15 kms out of town on an inlet of the ocean, such a beautiful outlook, with boats moored.  

 Mike immediately started chatting, finding out the man next to us was a retired pilot & used to be good friends with Elvis Presley.  Well that was it!.....I left Mike talking to him for ages, listening to interesting stories of Elvis & flying planes.  He & his wife were very friendly & on our departure they gave us a jar of salmon she had preserved & some frozen halibut fish. The next 2 days we hired a boat, went fishing & sight-seeing from  midday until 8.00pm. (It doesn't get dark till 10pm) The days were a bit overcast, but no rain. We guided the boat into a little inlet, the water was so clear and fairly shallow, pulled up to a small jetty & went for a walk through the trees, once again, Mike was hoping to see a bear. It was just idyllic surroundings. 
We only caught 1 fish each day, a pink & a King Salmon, but they were massive & fun to catch so got a few meals from each.  We even had them filleted for us. It is a popular place for fishermen, and we watched them come in with crates full of huge fish, all being professionally filleted & bagged ready for freezing. Matt J & Mick, you would love it.  The water was so calm & the scenery just so beautiful.  If only it could be like this at Port Hughes. We have met some interesting people on our travels, one being  a young man, (28yrs old)  who was severely injured in the Iraq war. With tears in his eyes, he recounted some very sad & moving stories of his experiences in Iraq, which has changed his life forever. It was rather sad actually and to think that over here they can send an 18 year old off to war to kill but they are not allowed to have a glass of wine until they are 21 .... Hmmmmm ..  
 Another gentleman used to fly a small plane looking for POW's in Vietnam ... A most interesting story teller!!. Next stop was Prince Rupert & once again it was a 4.30am sailing. We checked in at 11pm and at midnight we drove on & were allowed to sleep in the van but were told we MUST come upstairs at 4 am, as it is not permissible to be in vans during sailing. (We found out later that a few years ago a ferry sunk & 2 people who they believe were asleep in their van, were drowned, so rules are now in place). We went to sleep and the next thing, we woke & it was 8am & the ferry was well on its way. After quietly making a latte, we tried to sneak upstairs, hoping to avoid being caught. At the top of the stairs was a sign saying car deck closed, and as we got to the chain, we were sprung by one of the crew.  Managed to get away with it.  Felt like two little kids getting into trouble!  In Prince Rupert we saw a lot of bald eagles, flying round & landing on the jetty at sunset, one dived down to pick up some fish off the ground withs its talons.  

 We watched 2 collide mid-air & barrell-roll which is what they do when looking for a mate, to test each other out.  After finding the right one, they stay together for life. Fascinating! We drove on towards Prince George, a lot of the towns have flowers hanging from the light posts, & along the side of the road, they seem to grow prolific.  After the harsh winter snow, everyone is so excited to plant flowers again for a few months.  There was a cute little car with flowers growing all over it, thought it would be a good courier car for Jasmines Flowers!!  At Fraser Lake we parked overnight by the lake, no charge. A visit to the Railway Museum was interesting,  going through the old trains but lots of mozzies liked this place as well. Barkerville which is not far from Quesnell was the main town of the Cariboo Gold Rush in British Columbia, Canada  back in the late 1800's and is preserved as a historic town,  many of the buildings are still there.  A lady, dressed to suit this era,  in the kitchen of an old house told us what daily life was like. A wife would do set things on each day...Monday washing, Tuesday, ironing,(which was a task, after feeling the weight of the iron)  Wednesday - mending, Thursday - cleaning, (including out-house) Friday - cooking, Saturday - Market day, Sunday - rest.   Suzie you would love this place, we think you would have stayed & moved into one of the old homes!!It was then time to go to school, where the teacher was VERY strict.  We were divided up out the front, boys & girls lines...girls had to put a bonnet on & were separated from the boys in the classroom. Fingernails were checked for cleanliness.  Each person had to check the person's hair in front for nits, lice etc. The teacher was ALWAYS addressed as Sir, we had to stand up when we were spoken to or when answering a question SIR!!   The spelling test was interesting using a slate & writing in cursive....We finished off singing 'She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes'. Quite humorous!   This is exactly how it was at school in those days. A great experience!  We all wondered how the children today would cope, maybe an idea for Heritage College!!! Ha!  
 We then went to a Court Session, another interesting event. The lady who owned the RV park in Wells,  just outside of Barkerville,  is Australian, and the reception area was full of Australiana gear. She bought land many years ago, set up an rv park, and has staked her claim in the area & pans for gold.  Quite a bit of gold is still found in this area.  She was so pleased to talk to some Aussies, we were the first ones to stay in the park this year. From here we drove through Lac La Hache, Chilliwack (great names hey!) then came to Vancouver. We went to the airport to pick up our good Aussie friends Steve & Beth,  who had spent the last 4 weeks in the US, Steve spoke at various Bible Schools.  It  was so nice, as it has been 8 months since we have seen them & now we had 2 weeks to travel together from Vancouver to Calgary, where they will leave to fly back to Australia. Three nights in a nice hotel in Vancouver,  not far from the airport, gave them time to recover before staying in the RV.  While here we went to Stanley Park & the world famous Butchart Gardens.  The flowers, plants and displays were absolutely stunning, with the variety of colors & blooms, & it reinforced how wonderful our Creator is, who designed these plants & provides the necessary elements for growth & beauty. We look forward to a time when the 'deserts will blossom as the rose' and the whole world will be changed. A trip on the driverless MonoRail was interesting & we went to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre to watch Yanni perform.  T
 he different instruments  in the orchestra, including violins, cello, harp, trumpet, trombone, piano, organ & drums were played to perfection and each person individually showed their amazing talent.  The concert was excellent, Yanni is a brilliant piano player, so we all enjoyed it very much.  I particularly loved it, as watching someone play a piano well, is one of my favorite things to do. Anyway, I think that's enough from me, Bye for now, thanks for reading the blog, and we LOVE reading your comments ...keep safe and well,  God bless....

 Miss you all. next blog -
VANCOUVER - CALGARY...... stay tuned......


Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures & Videos

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Kat & Zaylia on

howdy mum & dad, ....I had a little girl come sneaking up to snuggle in our bed's 2am & she was giggling & chatting away! So I saw the email come thru & we both sat together looking at the photos on my iPad. Was lovely, looks amazing where u have been, would love the boys to experience a day in school like that! Can't believe u got to see wedding music man, that would have been unreal. Zaylia loved seeing Boofie & Dummar....she will say Papa or Grandma when she sees your pics too. If only you could see her right now....totally precious...even tho it is 2am!! Luv ya both xxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: