Cruising the Calm Seas

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Oasis of the Seas

Flag of United States  , Florida
Wednesday, December 21, 2011

December 10th - 17th

Drove from Orlando 
3 hrs to Fort Lauderdale, where we boarded the massive ship, Oasis of
the Seas.  The roads in Fort Lauderdale are amazing, someone said it is like a bowl of spaghetti has been dropped, and that is such a good description, roads going everywhere over each other.  Makes our Gallipoli overpass or underpass look quite small.  Mike and our trusty
GPS did very well.

Wow, what a ship, it has Central Park, the Boardwalk, a Promenade, Ice skating rink and many pools, and spas.  Quite amazing. We have a balcony room next to dad and mum so we all stood outside and watched the skyline  and lights of Fort Lauderdale gradually fade away.

Down to the dining room for a lovely meal, unfortunately they had not linked us together, so for our first meal, we had to sit with other people. (they  fixed this up for us
for the rest of the cruise).  Dad and mum were with a couple of Russians, who couldn't speak English,  Mike told dad to talk to them all about Israel and Putin, but his russian language skills are not quite up to standard,he needs to brush up a bit on this!! 

 Mike does his usual thing and talks to all the waiters and finds out all about them and their country and general useless info & gets them laughing, but in actual fact there is method to his
madness because all the waiters & waitresses tend to warm to us a lot & seem to remember us .... Even our names. If a waiter is from India, Mike loves to tell them that dad played cricket with Don Bradman, and they are all amazed!!  Dad just sits there and smiles.
Quite funny.

At night we went to the aqua show, held outside, there were divers, gymnasts on trampolines and synchronised swimmers.  Some of them dived from as high as 17 metres into a very small pool.

Next day was a sailing day, so relaxed. Later in the day went to an ice skating show.  It is hard
to believe we are on a ship, it is so calm, and we are watching brilliant ice skaters.  Amazing!!

On Monday we arrived at Labadee, which is on the tip of Haiti.  After room service for brekky, we went off the ship on to a magnificent beach, relaxed, had a lovely BBQ lunch, then in
for a swim in gorgeous aqua colored water, not cold at all.   Great view of the ship from here. It was quite warm, perfect to be on the beach.

On Tuesday we arrived inFalmouth Jamaica.  Usain Bolts hometown. We stood on the balcony
and watched us pulling into the shore. 
After a lemon tart and coffee in Central park, (becoming a bit of a habit!) we headed off the ship to look around the shops on the  pier and a bit of the town.   Once again a warm day, so only stayed on shore for a few hours then back on to the ship.

We arrived in Cozumel, Mexico on Thursday morning and rented a 2 door jeep for the day.  Mum found it too hard to get in the back, so dad had to climb in past the front
seat (not real easy for an 81 year old, I have to say)  and there was not a lot of leg room in the
back.  I always find that a real problem!!    It was fairly warm, so we
peeled back the roof, and off we went, with wind blowing our hair, to explore
and go where no man has ever been before!!  Had a fun day.  Dad did very well
scrambling in and out of the jeep at every stop we had.  I think he shuddered every time Mike suggested we get out and look at something!!  Dined
at a little Mexican beach cafe overlooking the Caribbean sea, for a light lunch. 

Friday is our last full day at sea for this cruise, but
the exciting thing is we are staying on the ship for another week to do the Eastern Caribbean.

On Saturday morning we had a wake up call at 6am, talk about shock to the system!!  Got our new sea passes, then after breakfast proceeded off the ship and hired a car and went to the Everglades and went on a flat bottomed, V8 aeroplane engine boat.  (The ones with a big fan at the back)  Saw some alligators, but not half as big as the ones we saw on the Adelaide River in Darwin.  When we got back to the ship, all our luggage had been moved to our new cabin on the 14th floor, clothes hanging in the wardrobe.  

 Ready for another week.  Keep well everyone, thanks for reading this,and for your comments, love reading them, miss you and  God bless xx

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Shane & Kat on

Love reading this, the boat sounds amazing, so hard to comprehend all the things on board & the places you visit. UNREAL. Can just imagine Grandpa & Grandma loving this, what an awesome trip to do at their age. Luv ya all xx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: