Morcheeba day!

Trip Start Mar 28, 2008
Trip End Mar 30, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Quebec,
Saturday, March 29, 2008

Today is the day I go see Morcheeba! I have been waiting literally, at least 10 YEARS. Oh my god, so excited... What I don't factor in however, is the state of my THROAT. I woke up with the most RAGING sore throat EVER. It just keeps getting worse and my glands keep swelling up. Holy crap.

Alana had to go to work today, and she woke up really early, waking me up in the process. I wrote my blog for yesterday, and while I was in the process, Martin, Alana's roommate came home. She had neglected to tell him I would be over this weekend, so I really surprised him when he was taking his shoes off at the door. Anyway, I decided that I would take advantage of the day, ignore the sickness, and just go to the art gallery and chill out, and maybe I will feel better by 9 p.m.... hopefully...

So I trudged over to the Musee des Beaux Arts which was recommended to me two separate times by two different people. There is an exhibit on Cuba that I just had to see, they said. So, I get there, pay the admission and coincidentally there is a nice guided tour just starting, so I tag along and go through, learning stuff about Castro and everything... I wasn't too impressed, but the poster section was cool, and I especially liked the giant spiral from the 1960s on display in the basement. It had a small blank square that Castro was invited to paint, but he never showed.

After this, I went to the top floor and looked at the classics painting and sculpture, which I really like. There is a really nice Rembrandt portrait and a whole bunch of other things. I couldn't be bothered to actually read about them because I felt like so much crap. I wanted to visit all the rooms, but that didn't happen. My head was pounding and my throat, still burning. I got out of there as quickly as possible, and as I was making my way to the metro, I noticed a swiss chocolate shop. I bought some truffles and chocolate covered apple slices for Alana to hopefully make her feel better.

Then, I went back, napped for three hours, still holding out false hope that I would feel better when I woke up. Nope. It was about six when I got up, and Alana wanted to have supper at home, which suited me just fine. We made some nice broccoli soup and I went out to the store to buy ice cream and a freshly baked warm (!!!) baguette.

Just before we ate, Martin's friend Nessa (sp?) came over and we had some (more) tea together. They went out and me and Alana chowed down on the soup and baguette.

Then, it was about 8 o'clock, which meant Earth Hour, so we turned off all the lights and went back to bed. Both of us are total wrecks and very pathetic looking at this point. Alana, hobbling around on her bum knee and me with a scarf and continual sad expression every time I try to swallow anything. *cry*

At 8:30 I made my way (slowly) to Club Soda, it was pretty far away but I made it just on time. I will mention that none! of the businesses on St. Laurent had turned their lights off for Earth Hour.

When I got to Club Soda I deftly dodged the "mandatory" coat check, because I was FREEZING despite the heat of the packed club. I also was not allowed on the ground floor because there was no more room down there, which suited me just fine, because I wouldn't have been able to stand that long anyway. I managed to get a pretty good seat on some stairs and I just sat there all bundled up the whole time, feverish and frozen, even though the place was sold out and steamy.

So, there was a Spanish duo who played some folky/techno-ey music, and then Morcheeba came on to way less applause than expected. The crowd was really laid back and either my age or older, I was surprised. They played all the great oldies, Trigger Hippy and Rome Wasn't Built in a Day included. I had a very nice time, despite the illness. I wanted to dance, but there really was no way, I was wayyyyyy too sick. *sigh*

The new singer is white, but she sounds a lot like the old singer, who is black. I thought that was interesting. She did an extremely good job at imitating the original vocals. Wow.

Oh and you should know this interesting tidbit. There were bronze-y coloured lights pointing down at a few tables on the opposite balcony and a couple on the other side were totally going at it! This girl had her hands down the pants of this really ugly, scraggly bearded hippy guy, it was INSANE. I refuse to believe they didn't know about the virtual SPOT LIGHT that was placed directly over their heads. It was SO WEIRD. WHO DOES THAT?!

After the show, I went straight back to Alana's on the bus and then ate some more blueberry ice cream and went to bed.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


kris on

great taste..
love morcheeba..

starlagurl on

Re: great taste..
*Curtsey, bow*

Thank you, mi'dear, it was a great time.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: