Goodbye :(

Trip Start May 01, 2010
Trip End May 24, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Saskatchewan,
Monday, May 24, 2010

So, it has come to an end. My epic UK journey is coming to a close, and it's time for me to head back to boring old Saskatoon.
Woke up rather early, as my roommate was taking off for another tour of Wales, so said goodbye to her, and though I tried to make myself sleep in a little longer, I couldn't. I took my sweet time showering and getting ready, then did my final sweep of the tiny little room at the Royal National, making sure I didn't forget anything. Then I found my way down to the lobby and checked out. It made me a little sad, not gonna lie, to walk out of that hotel. Lots of great memories made there in a short period of time!
So it was off to the tube station, where I caught the London Underground for the last time. I stood for the whole journey, which was kind of painful, but I felt my luggage was the safest that way, if I stood and held on to it.
Got to Heathrow, followed signs and tunnels and made my way to the terminal. I found the Air Canada terminal and immediately went to check in. I was NOT going to lug around my big suitcase longer than absolutely necessary. Once I got through all that, I headed up to the area outside of security. My flight wasn't for a few more hours, so I couldn't go through security yet (which I was okay with, the line was ridiculous!), so I found a restaurant and had myself a GREAT breakfast (with amazing lemonade, I might add). Then I wandered through the stores, bought some snacks and a book, and avoided the temptation to buy just one last London souvenir.
Finally I was able to go through security. The line was still ridiculously long, but I didn't mind. It went by pretty quickly. Got through there without any issues, as usual... After I got past that, I went to check my gate, but it wasn't up yet. So I again, wandered around stores, then sat around until the gate was supposed to be posted. It was finally up about 20 minutes after they said it would be up, and there was a mad rush of people heading towards that gate. So I followed along, and then once I got there, we basically all sat in a warm crowded room for 45 minutes, awaiting the plane. It ended up being half an hour late, which stressed me out because I knew that I already had a really short turnaround time in Toronto.
So I'm finally on the plane, and it's just pulling away from the terminal, when all of a sudden I'm hit with the worst nosebleed ever. So I can't get up & go to the washroom because we're about to take off, so I'm freaking out in my seat, trying to find my kleenex. Finally found that, and then after what felt like the longest taxi EVER, we were up in the air and the seatbelt sign went off so I could get up and clean myself up. The couple next to me was nice enough to give me another little packet of kleenex, but it didn't really help the fact that my hands looked like I just murdered someone.
After that little debacle, the flight went smoothly. The meal was, of course, chicken, gravy and potatoes. Which was totally NOT what I ate every single day in Ireland... :). But it was yummy, nonetheless. I watched a couple of movies, chatted with the couple beside me... I just couldn't wait to get off of that plane.
Finally get to Toronto, and I am freaking out because I have about 40 minutes to get to my next flight. So I basically run through the airport, get to customs rather quickly, get absolutely interrogated by the customs agent, who asks me EXACTLY what I saw, how many people were on my bus, what hotels I stayed at, etc. (note to self, avoid the female customs agents from now on!). Then I got to the luggage carousel, and my luggage took forever, of course. Once I finally grabbed my bags, I again, rushed through the airport, and when I went to drop my luggage on the next carousel, the agent there informed me to talk to a lady at the desk (aka I probably wasn't going to make my flight). In the lineup, I met 3 other people who were supposed to be on my flight as well, so we managed to convince them to let us through. We dropped our bags off, rushed to the elevator, and got to security. There was absolutely no one in line for security yet it took forever to get us through, good old Toronto, and then we found our gate number and headed there. Of course, this gate is at the very very far end of the airport. So there's 4 of us sprinting down the hallway to the very last terminal, where we find out the plane is boarding in 5 minutes.
I have never been so relieved in my entire life. I hate flying, so as much as it pained me to leave London, once I got on that first plane, I just couldn't wait to be home. I called my mom to let her know I would make it home for supper, and sat there trying to calm my thumping heart.
The flight home was uneventful, save for the fidgety child on his mom's lap beside me. I just tried to ignore it. I got home to my whoooole family waiting for me at the airport, and my favourite meal at home on the table.
Now, to plan for next year's journey...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: