Stacey & Maria take on London town!

Trip Start May 01, 2010
Trip End May 24, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Sunday, May 23, 2010

So today, our last day in London. It was a bittersweet day, that's for sure. Maria and I planned to meet up in the lobby of the hotel at 10:30, to give us each a nice sleep-in after two and a half weeks of (what felt like) early rising.
We sort of had a plan for today, but not really. So we just decided to go with the flow.
Our first stop was a wonderful breakfast place near the British Museum, where we had awesome smoothies, and poached eggs on toast. It was amazing.
After that, we hopped on the tube up to King's Cross, where we were going to catch another line to Baker Street. But our first adventure had to be to find Platform 9 3/4 (of Harry Potter fame, of course!). We first headed to Platforms 9 and 10, which were positively deserted, and we had no idea what to do next, so as we headed back, we spotted the sign (and fellow tourists snapping photos!) between platforms 8 and 9. So we headed back around to Platform 8, and got our requisite photos with the trolley in the brick wall. Before we left there, a man and his son asked us "You came all the way from the States just for this?" and Maria's automatic response of "We're not American, we're Canadian!" caught him off-guard.
From there, we headed back to the tube lines, and took the tube up to Baker Street, so we could stop by the Sherlock Holmes museum. I know nothing about Sherlock Holmes in all honesty, but the museum (and the gift shop!) were actually really cool!
Along Baker Street, we also found a Beatles stores, and a Baskin Robbins, where we stopped for ice cream. It was a really warm day, especially for it being only around 11:30am, so the ice cream was perfect!
After Baker Street, it was back to the tube, and we headed off to Harrods! Okay, so words cannot even begin to describe this place. It is insane! There's like a million floors, and we got lost more than once on a couple of floors! One floor was full of red carpet-esqe dresses, and we also found a clutch purse for 4700. Obviously not in our price range, we moved along to the toy floor, where we found more joy than is probably expected from an 18 and a 20 year old girl. It was incredible, some of the stuff they have there. Each of us bought some stuffed toys, for ourselves and our younger sisters (who are 15 and 17, haha). Then we wandered around some more, and found ourselves on the bottom floor, which is where the Harrods gift shop was. That was my kind of place! I found some gifts for people back home, as well as for myself, so did Maria. Then we found the food areas. WOW. We only walked through the chocolate/tea/coffee room, but we were both amazed at what we saw. For example, golden tea, aka tea laced with 22k gold. No thanks! We each ended up buying some chocolate (which was fantastic, by the way), and Maria found some tea to take home. After spending more than enough money in there, we headed out.
We had quite a bit of time to kill before supper, so we stopped at Hyde Park and sat in the sun and people watched around there. It was lots of fun! I wish I had more time to explore around there.
Once supper time came around, we had planned to go to the Planet Hollywood in Piccadilly Circus, but once we got there, we realized it was very much out of business (and had been for quite a time!) so we went to TGI Fridays. Nothing like good old American food on our last night in London! We each splurged on fruity drinks and appetizers and steak, it was great!
After supper, it was back to the Royal National for our last night with the Contiki gang. Everyone met up in the courtyard of the hotel, outside the London pub for drinks and stories. It was a lot of fun! I ended up talking to people more that night than I had ever talked to them while we were on our tour! Goodbyes, again, were very difficult, but made easier by everyone shouting "Facebook me!" to each other, which we have all since done.
It was a fairly early night for a lot of us, since we were leaving bright and early for home. Maria, Soroya and I all had some ice cream from the Ben & Jerry's vending machine, and had a little goodbye party in Soroya & I's room.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: