A day in the life of a chef...
Trip Start Jun 09, 2010
16Trip End Jul 25, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
* 900 am - wake up in hostel. Fight other guests for showers, and finally make our way downstairs for kiwi, grilled cheese, and papaya juice.
*930 am - arrive at Vinilo and say good morning to Gonzalo.
*930 - 10am - enjoy an espresso, get dressed in our aprons, and wait for Gonzalo to clean the kitchen.
*10am - 1pm - learn how to properly chop onions (nearly slicing off our fingers), cut a potato without ruining the cornstarch, mix the ensalada like it is a boyfriend (gentle and kind...
Menu for the day:
- Ceviche (raw fish, chopped onions, lemon juice, garlic, salt, coriander)
- Ensalada Chilean (thinly sliced onions cooled in ice water to make them less strong, tomato, parsley, vegetable oil, salt, and lemon (?))
- Salmon (blackened)
- Pembre (onion, tomato, coriander, garlic, chile paste, vegetable oil, salt)
- A crazy vegetable mix (potato, pumpkin, peppers, corn, green beans, peas, with cumin, salt, oilve oil, and coriander).
Standout moment of the day? The moment we realized that the food we had prepared all morning was not only for us, but it was the food for the clients as well. The table next to us was thoroughly enjoying our ensalada and ceviche... Their nods of approval were enough to ease our worries. We only hope that no hair fell in the food... (Joking... Joking).
*1pm and on: sat down at a table to enjoy our masterpieces with shoulders aching and wrists in mucho pain. Despite our amateur preparation methods, the food was excellent.
It's now time to watch the Chile vs. Spain soccer game with our new friends. Viva la Chile!
Oh, and get ready for tomorrow's post. We are working at the restaurant from 12pm on. They have a group of 30 Americans coming in for lunch and we are helping out. What a life.