Temporary Non-Immigrant Residents of Mexico

Trip Start Jul 29, 2012
Trip End Aug 01, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mexico  , Central Mexico and Gulf Coast,
Tuesday, September 11, 2012

We are now official "Temporary Non-Immigrant Residents of Mexico"!  (hear champagne cork popping) Yes, our title does evoke a certain sense of prestige, doesn't it?  Now that we’re on the other side of the FM-3 process, we can, and do, laugh about how it all went down.  When we were in the middle of the process, we were often incredulous.  Actually, I think we were lucky that we only needed to visit the immigration office in Oaxaca three times. 

In my blog entry from Stillwater, Minnesota, I briefly described our multiple visits with the Mexican Consulate in St. Paul.  I wrote about the hoops we jumped through so that we would have appropriate travel documents.  When we left the Mexican Consulate, we were told that in order to make everything official, we needed to simply visit the immigration office in Oaxaca within 30 days after our arrival. 

So, we showed up with all of our documentation expecting, it turns out na´vely, to walk out with a stamp of approval of some sort.  Instead, we walked out with another list of things to document – proof that Leah had in fact been paid by Montana State University for the past three months, including pay stubs and bank statements showing the direct deposits; five official photos of all of us, front and side views; letters from Leah explaining what we were doing in Mexico; electronic applications filled out online; and … get ready … a copy of the passport or official identification card of the person who signed the letter that gave Leah an affiliation with a research institute (CIESAS) in Oaxaca.  Hmmm.  This left us wondering what the process in St. Paul had actually accomplished. 

No worries. We tackled the list.  The hardest part involved getting the copy of the identification of the letter-signer at CIESAS.  The guy who had signed Leah’s letter lives in Mexico City and was out of town.  With a lot of help from the local CIESAS folks, we got it done.

With everything on our list checked off, Leah and I returned to the immigration office … and left with another list of things to do.  Fortunately for us, we were able to convince the immigration officials that their request for a copy of Leah’s PhD diploma from Boston College was a tall order.  We took them to the MSU webpage and followed the links to the Department of Sociology and Anthropology where we pointed to Leah’s photo and bio.  They agreed to accept a copy of Leah’s Curriculum Vitae instead of her PhD diploma (the framed copy of which is being stored in our garage in Bozeman).

Now, the immigration office is open M-F from 9am – 1pm.  We left the office at 11:30am on Thursday and felt our 30-day window closing on us, so Leah and I decided that we needed to tackle a number of things then and there and return to the immigration office before it closed that day.  What a riot.  We ran to an internet hole-in-the-wall and got two computers side-by-side.  Leah got to work on writing letters for Micah, Zola, and me, explaining that she would support us in every way while in Mexico.  She wrote the letters in Spanish.  Then, she printed out a copy of her nine-page CV.  I, meanwhile, had pulled up copies of Leah’s pay stubs and our bank statements and was using Google Translate to help recreate Spanish versions of all of those documents.   We printed copies of everything, paid about US$12, and raced back to the immigration office by 12:45pm.  

The immigration official we had met with earlier in the morning was available and saw us again.  He told us that immigration officials would review our files and we were to call a week later to find out the status of our applications.  Oh, and for our final visit, we were to return with different photos of Micah, Zola, and Leah, because they had too much hair covering their foreheads in the photos we had brought earlier.  We left the office marveling at the apparent arbitrariness of the whole process, a process that seemed to have more to do with the mood and perspective of the immigration officer we spoke with each time than any objective criteria.  There are horror stories out there about the difficulty of navigating the immigration process. Leah, ever the scholar, reflected on how impossible the process has been for her research participants who've entered the United States without all of the documentation we were able to provide. I could tell she was writing lecture notes in her head as we walked to catch the bus.

When we called the immigration office the next week, they told us that our applications had been approved, so we took the kids out of school and headed back downtown to make ourselves official.  Micah and Zola kind of liked being fingerprinted.  When we left the immigration office with our immigration cards in hand, Leah and I let out a big sigh of relief.  Then, with a smile on her face, Leah pointed out that my immigration card specifically states that I am “morally and financially dependent” on her for the next year.  We got a good chuckle out of surmising exactly what that meant. 

The days following our benediction held a number of notable experiences for all of us.  Micah and Zola came home from school the next day with news that they had eaten cactus.  I saw my first black widow spider and gave the family a lesson on where they generally live (dark, still, out of the way places), what their webs look like, and what precautions to take to steer clear of them.  Like a perfect student, Leah took her newfound information about black widows and found one of her own (yes, she's come a long way since running away from good luck spiders four weeks ago).  After a puff of raid, I took a photo of the now-deceased spider and her egg sac for our archives. 

We hope to spend our weekends exploring Oaxaca.  This past weekend, we visited a neat reading room for kids, funded by a wealthy patron from Oaxaca.  The red beanbag pillows were a big hit with Micah and Zola.  Leah read them a story in Spanish.  The photos are below.

Micah and Zola are learning Spanish quickly.  They come home with new words every day.  Zola was super excited to show me her corn seed growing in a small jar at school yesterday (see photo).  Leah revels in life here daily.  I have enjoyed getting to know the area on foot and just signed up for a 7K race to be held later this month. 

One final note: Leah is out of the conceptualization and outlining stage and has begun writing her book!  I read her first five pages yesterday.  Full speed ahead.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Uncle Ralph on

It's a good thing all your documents are in order. Heaven forbid you'd be an illegal alien in Mexico from the USA.

Uncle Bob on

I've heard of similar stories--including the willingness of some petty official to accelerate the process for a modest emolument paid on the side. Sorry to hear how time- consuming this was for you. But I'm also glad to know you weren't hit for a bribe.

marisa on

Thinking about you guys regularly and missing you much but so love reading about your adventures. Lots and lots of love to all of you!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: