So Long, San Francisco

Trip Start Aug 26, 2008
Trip End Aug 17, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , California
Saturday, August 2, 2008

One last chance to visit our favorite city before heading out. We drove up the 101 from Ventura and stayed the night in the Mission Inn. It was an unwelcome step up from our previous lodging--the back of the Mazda parked at the Golden Gate overlook--where we had slept for free on our last visit. However, the Mazda was now crammed full of our junk, and there was no way we were sleeping inside.

Dealing with the 30 minute ride on the 14 to get to our favorite nightspots in Little Italy saved us at least $40 over closer-in hotels plus parking. Probably a little more expensive than the hostels, but they were booked up.

After driving in and finding free parking near Van Ness and Mission St, we caught the 45 but missed the 17. A short hike corrected that, and we caught the 17 in to Haight where we browsed to our heart's content. However, there weren't any suitable deals even in the thrift store, so we spent not a penny more than the $3.00 bus fare.

With our transfers we were able to get back to Market and then hop on the F for one last streetcar ride down to Fisherman's Wharf. There, we picked out the biggest crab we could find and had it boiled and cracked streetside. Tasty!

Next up was a short hike and then a short ride on the 39 in heavy traffic. We gave up and hopped off right at the end of Little Italy and the beginning of Chinatown. In Chinatown we visited our favorite bakery and... uh... deli on Stanton, picking up some cheap buns for the next day's travel and a snack to eat right away.

After Chinatown we stopped in a shoestore and finally picked up a pair of Keens for Jacy, who had previously been down to her last pair of unpacked sandals. Equipped for travel we quested for a road atlas, since I had cleverly thrown ours away whilst cleaning out the car prior to our cross-country trip. Rather than an atlas, we found a lot of cold gusty wind and a setting sun. Giving up, we snuck back on the F to get close to our car, hoping nobody would check our expired transfers.

We made it and even managed to navigate back to the car, which was hanging precariously on a 20-degree slope, overloaded and held in place by it's anemic emergency brake.

Firing up the Mazda, we had barely made it onto I-80 when the engine light came on, thus setting off a chain of events which would see us making much less progress that night than we had previously hoped. 

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: