Flying, surfing, and Grandma

Trip Start Feb 12, 2010
Trip End Feb 24, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Friday, February 12, 2010

     Wow, how can i start off this crazy adventure.  Let's see, alright well to get to Hawaii, I had to fly through four countries, five cities; Da Nang -> Hanoi (6 hour layover) -> Bangkok (7 hour layover) -> Narita, Tokyo, Japan (8 hour layover) -> Honolulu, Hawaii.  Oh ya fricken long long journey.  I finally got in to Oahu and had to wait another 5 hours for my grandma.  The first day there I slept a lot, but had some good Mexican food (which I would eat a lot of because I missed it a lot).  
     The next day Sunday (V-day), we went on a dinner cruise and ate some amazing steak and crab legs.  Then when we got back we walked down the strip and around the stores a bit.  It was fun and we actually walked around after dinner every night after that.  That night I also went to a bar to find a pool table, but all I found was couples making out and an empty dance floor with me dancing on it. ahah.
    On Monday we got up a little earlier then I wanted to (ahaha, but anytime was early for me) and went to the Aquarium where we saw some cool dolphin tricks, some big sea turtles (which we fed) and some other cool sea creatures.  It was around 12 when I hit a wall and kinda got grumpy.  I felt bad for Gramms, but I told her I needed to go walk around and so walked out of the park and down to a beach.  At the beach I promptly fell asleep and awoke to my phone and Gramms saying, oh Dear you need to come back up there is a really cool dolphin show going on!.  So I dragged myself off the beach and up to the park where I was just in time to see the dolphins spinnin' around in the air.  It was pretty cool, even if I was half awake. After getting some lunch and one more sea life show we headed home.  We had a great bus driver who was sharing to me his life growing up on the island.  I guess he thought I was from the North Shore with my "accent".  The "whoa bra" "no way my dude" and "sick man!" must have helped with that. ahha.  He told me if I ever got into a fight he had my back.......Thanks bus driver guy.  That night we ate some more Mexican food (and it wouldn't be the last).  We walked around after dinner, watched the Olympics and passed out.
   On Tuesday we rented a car, loaded up the boards and headed to the Mecca of surfing, PIPELINE! Aww baby it was soo sick!  I wish I could live across the street so I could one day grow a pair to go out there and rip!   We drove up and around through some really cool lookin' country side.  We finally got to pipe and was tweakin' out with excitement as I looked out on the massive beasts and the riders who tried to tame them.  aww man!  gramms took a look and then walked back into the shade. ahah.  She wasn't as stoked. ahah.  I was out there for a good hour and then we walked back to the car.  I was showin' her the board of champions and talkin' about Mike Stewart (whose a freakin' amazing surfer) and this older guy walks up and says "Oh you know Mike huh?".  "Ya he's an awesome surfer" I said.  "Oh well I'm Mike's Dad". "What!! No Way! That's sick!" I said.  We talked for a while and I shook his hand!  It was awesome!  Then gramms and I drove back to this little town on the way home at ate.  We found this really good place to eat tacos. Hmmmmm I miss those.  ahaha
     On Wednesday we woke up at the butt crack of dawn to go see the Pearl Harbor memorial.  It was cool, but I think that I would have appreciated it a little bit more if I was more awake and less cold.  It was cool though to be there.  I met a Vet from WW2 as well which was really cool.  I forget his name, but he worked on the U boats.  It was nuts to hear some of the stories he was telling.  We hung out there until about 11:00am or so and then went back home for some food and laying on the beach.  We went to dinner that night at a Mexican food restaurant as well (ya I love Mexican food) and then I we walked around for a bit.  We ended the night by watching some of the Olympics.  
     On Thursday we headed back up to Pipeline, and watched as the waves barreled for a while.  They were twice as big as they were a few days before.  We ended up driving around for a bit trying to find another beach, but settled for a small break on the west side.  That night we went to PF Changs.  I missed this place too.  We got seated at a table that was way back by the kitchen.  I was going to ask to be moved, but I'm glad I didn't because our waitress was amazing!  And she was extremely attractive. Haahah.  I know I know, I'm a dork, but she was.  She was a great waitress and fun to be around.  I left her my number and she texted me later that night. ahah.  We ended up hanging out on Saturday.
  On Friday and Sat. Gramms and I had a lot of fun.  We went 4x4 in an H2 while getting a movie tour of famous places that movies were filmed at.  It was a great tour and our tour guide and I really kicked it off.  He was a surfer from SoCal.  Real chill guy.  Gramms was brave.  She took the second seat back as I took the front.  We bounced around a lot, but I think she had a good time. ahah.  Friday Night I hung out with Colombo (the waitress).  I think that she was expecting a different guy then what she got with me. ahah.  We hung out on the beach from 12:30am -4:00am (when my grandma texted me to make sure I was alright).  It was rather funny.  I gave her a hug and a kiss good night (I haven't kissed anyone for a while, its a good thing I still know how to do it. ahah).  It was a magical night though as I look back on it.  We ended up talking about each others lives and stuff.  I was able to really share with her about God.  I got to use my life as an example to the testimony of Christ.  How awesome is that!! Now it all makes sense.  When we look at the bible, we shouldn't look at it as a bunch of rules, but guidelines to live by in order to use our lives as a testimony to God's greatness and goodness!!  Wow, that totally just hit me, huh.  So cool! Anyways, so on Sat. I got up and went to the beach, had some lunch.  Colombo actually met up with us for some lunch before she went to work.  Then we said good-bye.  It was sad, but had to happen. Around 4:00pm my grandma and I left for a very comical bus ride and luau show.  It was a great night.  Full of amazing food, random funny comments, hula dancing (which I decided is a must for my future wife) and my grandma passing out.  Oh ya, she passed out after having a Mai Tai.  Her blood pressure got to low and so as I held my grandma she passed out with her eyes open.  My first though was oh FRICK! My Grandma just died!  A doctor came over that had been sitting with us and checked her pulse, "I can't find her pulse" he said.  WHAT! Holy crap are you kidding me!!  "Oh there it is, its coming back" he said as she laid there smiling.  Grandma! You are a funny lady sometimes......!  We traveled home singing on the bus random inappropriate songs that used the word "hang loose".  Ya our bus driver was a little.....worldly to say the least.  On Sunday Morning I woke up way too early and headed on my way back to Vietnam.  Which took forever!  I had to pay an extra 100$ or so on my way back.  I flew Honolulu-Tai Pai-Bangkok-Ho Chi Minh-Da Nang.  I stayed the night in Bangkok at a nice hotel and fed some catfish in their pond when I woke up.  Then I spent the night in Ho Chi Minh and had to do some random stuff with my visa.  Blah.  I met some real nice folks from "The Race" though.  It was nice to see fellow believers traveling around seeing the world.  I was soo dang ready to get back though! Oh man!  It was a great trip, but dang I was bushed when I got home. * Thanks again to my Gramma for funding my travels! Your amazing!* Thanks for reading my travel website too! Write me and let me know any questions you have.  I'm always up to here from people!
-Robin Hood (John 3:30)
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: