Locked up with no keys

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of France  , Burgundy,
Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Quartlys did the early dash in for croissant and baguette and we set sail back along the Canal Centre, John at the helm while we ate. So all those locks again! After two locks we moored near the town of Rully and cycled the 2 km to the village. The winery, John was hoping to visit, was needless to say closed, but harvest has begun so it was not likely that many would be open. We continued the ride up the hill to the Chateau, enjoying panoramic views over the vineyards. We could see the pickers hard at work. The houses in this village were quite opulent indicative of an affluent history. The Chateau was less impressive close up and it would appear it is a private home as we were not allowed very far into it and we could see children's toys and the like in the garden.

On our bikes again and set for a nice easy ride downhill. We stopped at a small winery in the village adjacent to the church. The winemaker’s wife and then the winemaker himself, (Jean-Claude et Anna Breliere) obviously enjoyed a chat and spent a long time explaining the history of Burgundy wine and in particular of Rully. Their son had spent some time in Australia, learning English so we had something in common. The winemaker, Jean Claude, spoke excellent English and had a pithy sense of humour. We tried two white wines, two reds and a Cremant, which sounds disgusting but is the Bourgogne version of champagne. The reds were pretty ordinary so we bought a couple of whites and a bottle of the Cremant to share.

Back to the boat for lunch, and then we set out; 2 locks down and 9 to go. The Qs decided to ride along the bike track that runs alongside the canal so negotiating the locks was left in the precarious hands of the Webbs and the Meaghers. I took the wheel and John and David handled the ropes, Sue M sat by for moral support. The locks were easier this time because we approached them from the high side, so there was no scurrying up ladders to pull the cord that controlled the lock. We arrived at our mooring for the night, a very modern port called Fragnes. It had lots of facilities such as wifi, showers and laundry service. Unfortunately the wifi reception was weak and we couldn’t upload our blog. The best thing, however was that there was a restaurant and it was open! Everyone did their own thing, such as it was, until drinks on deck at 6.00. We had some of the Rully purchased earlier in the day which tasted better with a full glass.

Dinner was surprisingly good, the usual combinations menus. John had snails and frog legs for entrée, followed by bouillabaisse. The waitress was obviously concerned that he might not be aware of what he was ordering and checked with him several times to make sure he understood that he was ordering snails and frogs legs. I opted for the main course/dessert option and had a duck pie, which was delicious, followed by profiteroles. Needless to say a couple of bottles of wine were consumed at the restaurant and back on the boat.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: