No Where to Go

Trip Start Feb 28, 2011
Trip End May 18, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Saturday, April 30, 2011

We are sad to be leaving Ireland but are anxious to get to Greece. The wedding is only 10 days away and we are both excited! Right now I am sitting at the Kilkenny train station waiting for the 11:45 train to Dublin. We missed the first train by minutes sonwe have been waiting for a few hours and it has been very boring. On the positive side, the wait has given us a chance to take a nap but now people have begun to arrive and it is no longer possible.

I can't believe our trip is coming to a close. It seems like just yesterday we were flying in to Naples seeing all the run down houses and buildings and wondering what we were getting ourselves into. We have come a long way since the and seen many things. Despite this, we have never been so distraught leaving a country as we are today. I love England and the Lake District and I was sad to leave but the feeling here is not quite the same. We have fallen in love with Ireland and all of the people here. It has been by far the most hospitable country we have journeyed to and we will truly miss it. I will miss the lively music, the vibrant locals, the lush landscape and the amazing ale. It will definitely be a country well worth a second trip to. I could go on for hours about what we will miss but I will save you the time. If you ever have a chance to go overseas you must check out Ireland.

I think I will take a break from blogging for now; I will have plenty of time in Manchester waiting for our connecting flight. We will be going to Dublin and might see a few sights we missed on our previous stay so you can look forward to reading about those. Other than that we will just be sitting on a train or in the station for the next three hours. Goodbye for now.

. . .

Well we ended up heading directly tithe airport to see if we could fly stand by on an earlier flight in order to get to Greece sooner and shorten our stay in Manchester. We caught the bus from Dublin Heuston to the airport only to find that there was only one flight to Manchester today. What a bummer; we were now stuck in Dublin airport for 5 hours with nothing to do. Oh well, at least there was a 24 hour Starbucks.

After our long wait we went through security and boarded our flight with Ryanair. It was a very interesting experience; Ryanair is one of the cheapest airlines in existence and one can tell by the way they run business. First of all the passengers must print their boarding tickets at home and bring it to the airport or they are charged a 40 fee. Secondly, everyone is limited to just one 15 kilogram bag and a single carryon weighing a maximum of 10 and fitting very strenuous size restrictions. Thirdly, they have crammed so many seats in their airplanes it is unbelievable; the more people the more money per flight. I heard they tried to make their passengers stand to make more room but the aviation regulations forbade it. But despite all of this, the bottom line is they are cheap.

Anyway, we boarded the plane and set off for Manchester. It was only a 30 minute flight and we arrived shortly after 9 in the evening. Upon arrival we retrieved our bags and set out to find a hotel nearby to stay in. Everything was expensive compared to what we were used to--not to mention we were now back using the pound sterling once more. The only hostels were in the city and we would have to grab a taxi or bus and then have to worry about getting back at 6 in the morning for our flight to Athens so we found ourselves in a conundrum. There was one hotel at the airport and we decided to check their price and see if they could give us a deal because we would only be there for 8 hours. They would not. Thus we resorted to the cheaper alternative of sleeping in the airport.

We found a nice and (somewhat) quiet location with two benches and a power socket and tried to sleep. It was quiet challenging as there were cleaning crews cleaning and security announcements on the PA every 10 minutes about leaving luggage and cars parked in the drop off zone. As soon as we would fall asleep the monotonous voice would wake us up again.

After a couple of hours battling the noise we decided to throw in our cards and head back to the hotel and grab a room for the remainder of the night so we could be well rested and wake up to warm showers in the morning. It was a good choice and we were finally able to escape the unrelenting voice.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: