Floatin in our boatie

Trip Start Feb 28, 2007
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Trinidad and Tobago  ,
Saturday, June 16, 2007

It has almost been two weeks now that we have been merily bobbing up and down to the mothion of the ocean. Two weekends ago we were hauled up into the air to allow us to service and paint the centre board, and that is how we remained till Monday. All things considered, the schedual and theory of removing the centre board from its unaccessible cavern in the keel went surprisingly well. Apart from the heavens opening up and drenching us every so often, we managed to put in a honest days work of anti fouling. By hanging the centre board inside a near by tent thing, i could keep painting coat after coat onto it with out too many interruptions while the rest of the force gave Sparrows bottom second and third coats, as well as brand new coats where the stands had been. Sparrow has tuned out looking very smart if I may say so with her racing green top sides and black bottom. she really looks like a million dollars, from a bout 20ft away so you dont notice the cheap paint work!!!!
any how as time always does the day light faded fast on sunday but we were as ready as we wanted to be. And when the morning came we did our final drips and drabs of antifauling here and there, closed ALL sea cocks, and waited.....and waited and waited! After about an hour of waiting we finnally cornered one of the yard workers and asked him what was goin on... to which he replied "eeh, boy da driva he be broke... he back be painin...". He continuaed to assure me that the very first driver who was retired, was to launch us. And despite my immediate thoughts, the "stand-in driver" handled the travel lift with amazing ease.
 As we were lowered into the water, i shuffled arround the boat peering into all  the dark little holes that we had worked on while we were on the hard to check if there were any leaks. And thankfully no seriouse one were discovered. There were only two dribbles one creeping out of our 'high-science designed' cetre board casing, and another seeping from the gally sink outlet, which we discovered had no hose clamp on..."gulp!".
With a sigh of relief i poked my head out of the hatch and signaled to the driver and crew that we were floating.
As the straps were pulled from underneath sparrow and she bobbed happlily to her own rythem, we took the next step and with one push of the button started dear Mr. Chug, who also in turn mumbled away with a relaxed tone, spitting his liquid discharge high into the air. by now tom and dom were on board with a sense of uncertainty in their eyes. We checked the sterntube  for unusual leaks but all was good, so we cast off our ties to land and attempted to reverse out in to the deeper water.
Well I quickly realised that becuase of either the heavey bow or the large prop, the poor boat battles to maintain a straight line in reverse. she far rather spin arround in circles. But by fending off the mooring posts and walking her to  face in the direction we wanted her and giving a ckick ahead we got clear of chaos, and zoomed arround the bay doing checks and getting used to the behavior she has.
I took us the rest of the day  once we had retuned to the dock to load sparrow with the first bit of dom and my junk that we had on Mila, grabbing any chance we had between me dissappearing to pull masts and the occasional down pour. Even still we got so drenched that we found ourselves sitting inside sparrows saloon eating yummy rotis in the nude. As the day continued the weather worsened and the boat got more crowded with our junk , the wave grew and started to toss the boat this way and that, and we were all getting tired. We gathered the last load of bits and peices including Milo our addopte cat and loaded it all onboard, cast off the lines and headed for our new location.... attached to a YSATT buoy.
Sadly that evening was not he calmest of evenings, and too add to the chaos, our nerves were in a knot. Early on in the evening we rolled this way and that which made dom a bit queezy, and I was too buzy trying to stow things away so that we could actually make our way through the saloon to notice the roll. Then after nibbling on some left over cold noodles, I tried to sleep. that was a real waste of time. And in an attempt to steady the boat I lowered the centre board, which just clanged in its housing shuddering the boat with every roll. That night i was ready to walk away. I was hoping for a nice quiet evening and a good night sleep, but between the clanging centre board and water related nightmares the next day quickly became a long drag.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: