Day in the Big Apple

Trip Start May 02, 2013
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New York
Sunday, May 5, 2013

Because I had been flying for three days straight I decided to take a day and go explore New York.  I had never been there before, so I was very interested.  I was staying in Warren, New Jersey so I was not particularly close to NYC.  Robin and Jean had lunch affairs to attend so I was on my own.  I was dropped off at the train station in New Brunswick and quickly hopped on the train.  It was an hour on the train before I arrived at Penn station.  

I wandered around without a clue of where I was going.  I was told that the red bus tour was a good way to see the city with the little time I had.  When I stepped out of Penn station I was overwhelmed with the amount of people and concrete that was around me.  I have been into big cities before, but New York seemed like a new country.  Right down the street was a red bus. I quickly hopped on! On the bus, they explained some of the history of the city.  It was interesting to see all the buildings.  I got off at the Empire State Building to see if I could go to the top.

When a man explained that it cost $50.00 to ride an elevator to get to the top, I politely declined his offer and got back on the bus.  The 9/11 memorial was one of the stops I really wanted to see.  I got off at the appropriate stop and waited in line.  It was well worth the wait! Seeing the memorial was breathtaking.  I thought the way it was set up was very respectful to the men and women who died that day.  Just like on September 11th, 2001, there was a strong feeling of unity at the memorial.  I think it is great that it is there so generations to come can understand what happened.  Though I was only in 3rd grade on that tragic day, I can remember 9/11 like it was yesterday.  It is crazy to think that kids just a couple years younger than me won't have any recollection of the event. 

After I spent a couple hours at the memorial, I got on the bus and went to Battery Park.  I went there to meet up with a couple of guys that I have been working with to promote my trip.  Seeing the Statue of Liberty from the park was really cool.  I did not have enough time to make it over to the statue this time.  I will have to do that on my next trip.

It was getting late and I had to start thinking about getting back to New Jersey.  My phone was about to die so I purchased a charger at Penn station right before I boarded the train.  I was in need of a phone because I had to contact Robin before getting into New Brunswick.  It was difficult to find a working outlet on the train but I finally found one.  I wonder what I would have done if I could not contact Robin...

I got back to the house, and Robin and I had dinner.  It was a long, tiring, but exciting, day and I was ready to go to bed.  I was still unsure of where I wanted to go the next day.  I was deciding between Iqaluit and Goose Bay Canada.  I was going to check the weather the next morning and make that decision.  

I said goodnight to Robin and Jean and went to bed soon after.  I knew the next day would be an interesting day because I was just about to start the international part of my journey.  

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: