Leaving St. Louis

Trip Start May 02, 2013
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Missouri
Saturday, May 4, 2013

I woke up a little groggy this morning because I have been trying to kick a cold. My sinuses were clear, so I was confident that I would be okay to fly at higher altitudes. I slept in a little later than I meant to, and finally got out of bed around 9:00 AM local time. It was getting a little late in the morning so I scarfed down a ham and egg sandwich and headed on my way to the airport. I got a ride to the airport from Mr. Peterson and his father-in-law.

His father-in-law is an artist and he showed us some of his drawings. They were pretty amazing.  When we got to the airport the weather was overcast, but not raining. However, I knew that was not the case heading east. I talked with a lot of the staff at the airport and they showed me a picture of the airport in 1993 when the Missouri River flooded. It was amazing to see some of the airplanes that didn't get out in time. The flood was so high that all you could see of the planes remaining on the ground was their tails! The water level was 13 ft. and destroyed many planes. 

It was getting time for me to take-off so I said my final goodbyes to Mr. Peterson, his father-in-law and the guys at the airport. I knew this was going to be an interesting flight considering all the precipitation that I was about to encounter.  

For all the pilots out there my flight plan and power settings were as follows:

3,000ft @ 55% power.  

I took such a low altitude because I was trying to stay below the storm.  I then had to climb higher in order to meet the MEA (minimum enroute altitude) over the Appellation mountains.  Contrary to the normal, I had headwinds the entire way.  This was slightly annoying because it made the trip two hours longer then it should have been.

The flight from St. Louis, Missouri to Morristown, New Jersey went quite well.  I landed around 6:30 PM and was greeted by Robin and Jean Voigt.  They brought there dog Taylor along  whom I remember form Norway.  Robin was our safari guide in Africa when we went in 2009.  He has since moved around the world from Norway to New Jersey.  It was very nice to catch up with Robin and Jean and I felt as if I was right at home.  

Instead of pushing on to the great white north I decided to relax and go into NYC for the following day.  
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Virgil John Wiegand on

Jack, I'm your father oldest cousin on the Wiegand side. I know that you get real tired, but it would great if you could keep up your blogs every day so that we can follow what you are doing. More people and news organizations will follow what you are doing if you keep up your blogs daily.
Good Luck and don't take any unnecessary chances.
Virgil Wiegand (Johnny Wiegand's older brother)

Tom Murphy on

Yes.... daily blogs... even if they're short....this is a very cool experience / story!!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: