Redwood National and State Parks

Trip Start May 27, 2009
Trip End Sep 19, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Saturday, August 20, 2011

The Northern California Coast Redwoods are the world's tallest living tree on earth. The Park features the first, second, third, and sixth tallest known trees in the world along with 40 miles of rugged coastline, grass prairies and oak woodlands. Redwoods can grow to 350 feet or more, with a base diameter of about 20 feet. Their root systems are broad and shallow, from only a few inches to six feet underground. The oldest coast redwoods are about 2,000 years old and show no signs of dying out. Similar to Sequoias, they resist insects, fire and rot to a remarkable degree, and their vigor in sprouting back when cut or badly burned is an important factor in their longevity.

Only 5% of the world’s old-growth redwoods exist today. Unfortunately, the other 95% of redwoods were cut down. Of the 5% remaining, 85% are protected in parks and reserves.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: