Choppy seas and wobbly bellies

Trip Start Mar 15, 2006
Trip End May 30, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Chile  ,
Tuesday, March 28, 2006

When I last spoke, I said I was heading for the open waters of the Southern Channels. I have just spent four days, three nights on a cargo ship travelling south through the straits of Chilean Patagonia. Wow, this was a cool experience (in both senses of the word).

As the regular boat was out of service due to technial problems (I have since heard varying stories, from the thing breaking down to the captain running it aground whilst drunk), this meant we were to use the old boat, which now does shorter runs, the Puerto Eden.

The longest I have spent on boat before was about 9 hours, travelling on one of our family holidays across the English channel to France. Therefore this was going to be an interesting experience. The boat was not exactly what you may think of as a cruise ship, indeed there is much less to do than even those short channel crossings. This meant we had the whole range of: your cabin, the dining room, and the outside decks to explore. Actually I lie, there is the Bridge as well - the captain, being the fine man he is, likes to allow his passengers the free access to watch them at work.

We had a mixed bag of weather for the trip, but on the whole were very fortunate. Most of our time was spent on deck, watching the varying landscapes go by. This meant plenty of time for chatting and meeting people though, and in such a short space of time, it means the other passengers becoming family.

On our second day we were warned that there is a section of the voyage where people are prone to sea sickness, and advised to buy pills if necessary. The boat started to get into motion around 6pm and we were seated for dinner at 7. The buggers decided that giving us Spaghetti Bolognese that night would be a good idea. It went down great, unfortunately, the reverse was also true. I am not usually prone to sea sickness so figured IŽd risk it, IŽd be fine. Problem was, the rocking lasted for 12 hours.

It is an interesting experience lying in bed, and doing cycles between being pushed down into the matress followed by floating up out of it; sliding towards your head, followed by your feet. Just to add to the humiliation, the following day we were told that this was a good and smooth passing of the Gulf de Penas, so much amusement for the crew there then!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: