Time to Play

Trip Start Jul 27, 2012
Trip End Dec 17, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Posada Joan Sebastian

Flag of Mexico  , Central Mexico and Gulf Coast,
Saturday, September 1, 2012

So I know you've all been sitting on the edge of your seats impatient for details of my weekend away, but the pressure here is building and I have either been studying or too tired to write this……sorry. Up until this week I had been sleeping pretty well (for me) but now it seems I cannot even do that anymore…..hence I am now attempting to bring you all up to date on last weekend.
   I had been doing some research about where it might be possible to go without spending hours travelling but was far enough away to escape the city. It seemed that Taxco fitted the bill. Rachel was keen to get away too so between us we figured out how we could travel there and managed to book a room. The only thing we could have managed better was to book the bus ticket in advance because we had to wait a couple of hours at the bus station for a bus that had availability. But that was fine as we provided some entertainment for some people doing market research about tourism in Mexico City. It began with one guy attempting to ask questions in English who soon resorted to calling over his colleague to help him out and then before we knew it somebody else joined them. Her English was excellent so we concluded by having quite an interesting chat and wiling away an hour. Then we found a newspaper abandoned on a nearby seat so we killed some more time by attempting to translate some of the stories. I think that Rachel’s dictionary is going to be pretty dog-eared by the time this trip is over!
   Getting out of Mexico City on a Friday evening is quite a slow affair but there was a movie showing on the bus so it was not so bad. In fact it was quite amusing watching Pierce Brosnan ask for his martini shaken not stirred in Spanish! The bus was very comfortable and we were even offered soft drinks as we boarded. Both Rachel and I also managed a snooze and I woke up just as we were descending into Tasco. The views at night were so lovely. It is a pity that I couldn’t capture it on camera. Tasco is quite small so we knew we wouldn’t have far to walk to find our hotel. Just as well really because by the time we arrived in Tasco it was tipping it down, but we were prepared with rain jackets! We had no problem finding the hotel and were warmly welcomed by Toni, the owner, despite it being around 11pm. In fact he insisted that we join him in his lounge for a welcome cocktail……which turned into several cocktails! Oh and then he got out his guitar and proceeded to serenade us with songs in Spanish. I think it was past 2am when we finally got to bed! Luckily the drinks were not too strong and neither of us suffered any ill effects next morning.
 The sun was shining and the sky was a beautiful shade of blue as I took a stroll around the terrace outside our room and checked out the views. It really reminded me of somewhere in Italy as all the buildings seemed to have whitewashed walls and terracotta roofs, with colourful plants and flowers everywhere. The downside was that as the town straggled over several hills there was a lot of walking up and down to contend with. In that sense it was like being in Nepal…….I guess you could describe the terrain as "Nepali flat"!

                Anyway we trudged off, up some never ending steps, to the main square or “Zocalo” and found a restaurant for breakfast. As you will have seen in the last entry it was a massive pancake (or hot cake as they called them) which I smothered in maple syrup! Oddly it was served with slices of water melon, but the best part was the endless refills of coffee! We both came away feeling totally stuffed, but we didn’t need to worry about extra calories as we more than worked them off as we explored the town and its many ups and downs! We finished our tour with a trip up one of the hills via a cable car. It was like arriving in a different world at the top since the only place to get a drink or eat was this amazing hotel! We wandered around the pool and up onto a terrace where we had a late lunch. Surprisingly it was not too pricey either given the luxurious surroundings! It just felt odd after getting used to living a student life!
    When we arrived back at the hotel our “host” was waiting for us to remind us that we were to join him at a family dinner that night. We had assumed it was the drink talking……but apparently not! However, before we set off for the restaurant he insisted on sitting us down at the table in his dining room for a Spanish lesson. He really did mean well and I have to say I probably learnt as much Spanish last weekend as in all my classes put together!
      So anyway…..the family dinner turned out to be a celebration for the 8th anniversary of the restaurant that was owned by his cousin. It was an interesting evening as Toni seemed to have decided that he had “feelings” for me!! I spent most of the evening removing his hand from my leg and trying to laugh off his increasingly amorous suggestions! Poor Rachel was being used as a shield and when I went to the toilet apparently Toni wanted to know why she disapproved of him! At the end of the evening he was trying to get me to have another cocktail with him in his lounge whilst at the same time telling Rachel she should go to and get some sleep! He got quite sulky when I insisted on leaving with Rachel…….but the next morning he was back to being his usual friendly self. It is a pity that he had to declare his “feelings” for me as I’d love to go back to Tasco and he would be a great Spanish teacher, but I really am not in the market for any romantic involvement!
     Anyway we had a lovely relaxing weekend out of Mexico city and a pretty uneventful journey back to the city. Unfortunately for us the beautiful weather came to a dramatic end just as we reached our stop on the Tren Ligaro! The heavens opened and despite our rain jackets we were drenched. By the time we reached the end of our road we were paddling through ankle deep water. Up until now I have managed to be safely inside when it has truly bucketed down……but we were well and truly caught in it. Luckily the following few days were fine and sunny so I was able to put my shoes and bag etc outside to dry out.
      This weekend I have an essay to write and research proposals to start putting together so no chance to do much exploring. But I have been doing some research with a view to escaping again next weekend or maybe the weekend after. There are so many places I want to go and see and the time is just racing away. I can’t believe that September is here already! I am disappointed that my Spanish is not improving as quickly as I had hoped. But the truth is I have to work so hard on my other courses that I am just not devoting as much time to it as I really should. Oh well at least it is better than when I arrived (yes I know that’s not hard since I knew nothing….but I am trying to look on the bright side here!)
    Well I think I need to get this uploaded so you don’t think I have forgotten you all. Oh and please keep the feedback coming as it’s great to hear from you. I know I am kept busy here but I still think about home and I miss you all.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Martin on

Nice one sis!! trust you to pull , you just cant help it can you .................its those Kent genes again . Take care xx

Linzi kent on

beautiful pics sis, not sure about Toni though! lol x

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: