All roads lead to San Jose

Trip Start Oct 16, 2013
Trip End Mar 09, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Costa Rica  , Province of Puntarenas,
Friday, October 25, 2013

Day 9: 25 October 2013

Today we spent most of the day travelling. We looked into all of our options for heading south and decided the most direct option was to go back and change in San Jose (6 hrs). We were lucky timing wise though as when we arrived we had just enough time (30 mins) to change bus stations and get some snacks before getting the next bus (3 hrs). When we arrived we managed to find a hostel in Manuel Antonio pretty quickly which was close to the beach and the national park entrance. The hostels here were more basic than the ones we had stayed in so far which didn't bother us (granted it was a bit weird to be told we couldn't put anything on the floor of our room as water might come in during the night) but the fact that they were more expensive because it is super touristy here did! We went off to check out the beach but only made it to the end of the street before it started to rain heavily. We took shelter in a supermarket door way and had a beer like the classy ladies we are and as it looked like it wasn't going to stop for a while decided to make a run for it when it slowed a bit. As it didn't stop raining all night we did some planning for the rest of our time in Costa Rica.

Day 10: 26 October 2013

It was still raining the next day when we woke up but thankfully no water had come into our room during the night. We went to get some breakfast in the hope the rain would stop as we were both keen not to get wet as our clothes had been taking forever to dry out because of the humidity. The hostel breakfast was HUGE! The first plate was fruit and pancakes and the second was eggs and pinto gallo. Stuffed we headed to the national park as the rain had finally stopped. We were soon surrounded by guides trying to sell us a tour and as you see more animals this way we decided to go for it. We spent some time negotiating a lower price then headed off with Willie and his telescope. I have no idea how he manages to spot the animals he did as the forest is so dense and the animals are well camouflaged. He found monkeys, a sloth, grasshoppers, racoons, spiders, iguanas, birds and crabs and all I found on our 2 hour walk was a small crab! It was cool though as with the telescope you see those that are higher up in the trees. He knew soooooo much about the plants and animals so it was an interesting walk. Some plants can make themselves look sick to protect themselves. If you
touch them they wilt. They are like this at night time too then they
come back to normal when the danger has passed. Plus he was determined to find the best angle for the telescope so we got loads of good pics including one of a mother and baby monkey and of another monkey who looked like he was masturbating! The tour ended at the prettiest beach I have seen so we chilled there for a bit. Our chilling was cut short when a weird looking colourful caterpiller type thing landed on Anna. As its spikes dug in she ended up with bites on her side and arm! We took photos so checked with one of the tour guides to see if it was poisonous... Thankfully it wasn't. The walk back was along the beach front and was super nice. We came out of the park by a crocodile pool but didn't see any. As we had decided we didn't want to spend another night in the hostel it was soon time to get the bus to Quepos to head back to San Jose for the night before heading up to the Caribbean side.     
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: