Day trip to Siena

Trip Start Sep 07, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Italy  ,
Thursday, July 27, 2006

Wednesday we all piled back on to the bus and headed to Siena, about a 2 hour drive away. I was there in the fall, but only for a day or two so it was nice to have another look around. We started off like a school excursion, this huge group of people. I felt like we should be holding hands with a partner and walking in a line! But of course we soon split up, and meandered off in our own ways. I ended up wandering with Marta, Matteo and Brian for most of the time. We had about 3 hours or so, and didn't manage to get very far at all! It was great. I think I am used to hanging out with people who are power-sightseeing, that are trying to cram a whole town in to one afternoon. Instead, we stopped a lot to take all sorts of silly pictures, sat and ate lunch in the shade (it was a bloody hot day!), and of course had to have gelato! Soon it was time to get back on the bus for the journey back. By the time we arrived back at the hotel it was 5:30, and the evening program started at 6 so people were pretty exhausted from the heat and missing out on siesta. But it was definitely worth it!

After dinner a few of us decided to have a game of football (soccer for those in NA). It seemed like a good idea at the time....however, looking back, you can see where things started to go wrong. First, it was dark. There are a few lights, but not really sufficient to play football. Next, because some people didn't have appropriate footwear, it was decided that everyone should go barefoot. The field is not a field, so much as a semi-grassed area that is in no way level, or soft. And it is small. Enter 10 people (started out as 5 or 6, but you know how these things go), pit Italy against Spain (distribute the Anglos between them) and things start to get a bit aggressive. Of course someone gets hurt. The first person was Matteo, who hurt his ankle and went to sit out and soak it in the pool. A little re-distribution of the teams (since Italy just lost a key player) and we were back in action. Minutes later, another man down. This time it was Rafa representing the Spain contingent. That was when we intelligently decided to call the game (though Spain was leading 2-0, and I had scored one of the goals!!). The next day, Rafa was doing fine, but Matteo's ankle was swollen. At lunch we regaled him with tales of friends we knew who had broken bones but didn't know at the time. He of course did not think his ankle could be broken...well, a quick trip to the hospital that afternoon proved him wrong. So, him and Joanne could have a O2O in the hospital together and compare casts!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: