Serena Mountain Lodge

Trip Start Nov 30, 2007
Trip End Dec 10, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Kenya  ,
Thursday, December 6, 2007

Departed Samburu after breakfast and drove to the lower slopes of Mt. Kenya. Our driver gave one of the workers at the lodge a ride to his local village about an hour away. We stopped at the check point again and the same woman from MOnday came up to our van and said, "Tanya, remember me?" "I need more money for my baby Tanya." I told her "hapana" which means "no" in Swahiili. She kept asking me and I kept saying hapana and finally closed my window and ignored her. I thought it was weird that she remembered my name. We drove back over the equator, but this time we stopped at the curio shops and equator sign. One of the locals gave us a water demonstration by taking a bowl of water, a funner and some toothpicks 20 meters north of the equator line. The water swirled clockwise from the funnel into the bucket and the toothpicks floated clockwise as well. He then did the same demonstration 20 meters to the south of the line and the water and toothpicks went in the opposite direction. He then went back to the equator line and the water flowed straight down without swirling and the toothpicks didn't move in a circular pattern, they just stayed in one place. Wes gave him a couple bucks for showing us, but he was trying to sell us an $8.00 piece of paper! We briefly checked out the curio shops and headed on our way.

We arrived at the Serena Mountain Lodge aka the tree hotel in time for lunch. Our room was about 3 stories up, it was almost directly level to a feeding platform. All the rooms in the lodge overlooked the watering hole and it was surrounded by forest and jungle on 3 sides. DOwn the road a bit was a Kenyan presidential retreat that looked very nice! Surprising since the rest of the country seems so poor. We relaxed the day away viewing game from our balcony off of the room. We also were finally able to get out a phone call to home using Skype and Wes' laptop. It was good to hear voices from home. There were signs about not feeding the monkeys and they were climbing all over the place. They were sykes monkeys. We were standing on the balcony when all of the sudden a monkey comes running past our room. We were quickly going to run inside when my sister spotted my travel wallet sitting on the edge. She grabbed it just in time. I could just see that monkey running off with my wallet that of course had all my money and passport in it, yikes!  The power had gone out briefly here too. I seen one of the lodge workers climb up and put bones on the platform. I wasn't sure what to expect would be eating them, but soon after a buzzard type bird came swooping up and began eating off of them. When he was done a Genet came up to check it out. We enjoyed a lovely dinner and that was given a slide show presentation about the lodge, which was built in 1969, the watering hole, which was there before the lodge, the types of animals that frequent the watering hole and their habitats and about Kenya itself. The animals enjoy the natural salt in the mud and they only drink from the fresh water hole that the lodge provides that pumps from the ground up. They also enjoy the big rock that is there as well. They use it as a scratching post.  There is also a grassy area that grows in the water hole and they have shaped it into the African continent as well as depicting the island of Madagascar. We are headed for Lake Nakuru in the morning.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: