Samburu National Reserve

Trip Start Nov 30, 2007
Trip End Dec 10, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Kenya  ,
Tuesday, December 4, 2007

We had a 5:30 wake up call. "Jambo time to wake up", our porter called to us. He was waiting outside our tent with coffee and cookies! We met our driver guide Michael at 6:30am for a morning game drive before breakfast. We seen pretty much the same animals as the day before, and the weather was gorgeous! There was a layer of dew on everything. We were back at the lodge by 8:30am for breakfast and enjoyed it down by the river. They had a member of the Samburu tribe shooing away the monkeys and playing a flute type instrument. We then walked around the lodge grounds taking pictures and enjoyed watching all the Shake monkeys. We had lunch down by the river and then went out for an afternoon game drive. There was a safari driver of another company that had spotted a Leopard. Usually when a group spots a rarely seen animal, the driver will radio the other drivers so that they can take their group to see it too. Well, the driver was not too sure of his location so there was this big chase of at least 15 different safari vehicles racing around trying to find them. We finally found them and caught a glimpse of the leopard before he ran off into the thick bushes. Shortly after that we were off and zooming again. Another group had spotted two female lions. We arrived to find them sauntering to a spot on a bluff overlooking the river. They were not facing us, but didn't seem to mind the commotion of vans behind them. Across the river was a giraffe that appeared to be watching the craziness on the other side of the banks. We snapped our pictures then went on our way making room for the scores of others wanting to get in for a closer look. Michael took us back to the lodge where we freshened up for dinner. Again we had dinner by the river. This time our table was directly under a fig type tree that kept dropping it's seeds. It would drop on us, making us jump! There weren't many people staying at the Larsen's camp which made it nice for us. They only had a total of 13 guests our first night and only 5 after that. We were going to be heading to the mountain lodge at the base of Mount Kenya the next day so it was time to turn in. We were hoping that the generator going out that night wouldn't freak us out as bad as the night before.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: