Day 88, Pt.1: The Aftermath

Trip Start May 20, 2008
Trip End Aug 19, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Overnight train to Bangkok

Flag of Thailand  ,
Sunday, August 17, 2008

I woke up drenched, shirtless in the sand, having deployed said shirt as a makeshift pillow and splattered with Unknown Liquid at some point while I slept. Not slept actually, half-hearted nap is more like it. I looked around, Jeff was nowhere to be found but he knew where I laid down so I figured it best to stay put. By this point, the hordes of partiers had divided into two distinct groups: those who were not on some sort of mind altering substance, thus were either passed out on the sand or sitting down watching the fire jugglers, and those who did in fact pop pills of E/fake-E/adherol/God knows what else. This goofy faction was still very much awake and about, dancing like crazy in the water usually by their lonesome. In only ten hours this once pristine beach of baby powder had become a wasteland of slobbering drunkards, empty beer buckets, rainbow colored straws and fed up locals. One vendor woman touted her soda bottles to tourist passersby with a deep, desperate tone as if to say "Please, just buy my drinks, just do this one thing for me, you've destroyed my home, please... :-\" At least once a month the island willingly puts itself through this debauchery. We felt bad for the Thais, but it's what earns them their living.

Within five or so minutes Jeff appeared, rather violently shoving someone away who'd apparently been chasing him around trying to give him an unwanted bear hug for the past while. Jeff had been off watching the fire dancers and insisted, rather begrudgingly, that we remain on the beach until sunrise. We'd come this far, we had to make it all the way. The second the sun rose however we would hop on a ferry and hightail it the frak out of here. So we sat down and waited, sleepless and battered as ever. This was supposed to have been the trip's grand mindless crazy fun finale. As we exchanged mutual fed up glances however, and looked around at the mayhem surrounding us that we were not in the state of mind to join, it was clear that the Full Moon Party turned out to be something different. It was a test of our warrior's metal, a reminder of what we were missing back home. An experience, not a vacation. Not quite what was expected but a fitting hurrah nonetheless.

The sun rose and we began the trek back to the docks. Along the way we passed a belligerent 20-something man tossing plastic chairs around left and right. In the midst of his third toss, he lost balance and fell hilarious backwards into the sand. There he sat for a while with an expression on his face of pure and utter defeat. Did his girlfriend break up with him earlier? Did he lose a battle for a girl he was hitting on? Was his world-view as shaken apart by this apocalypse of impending liver problems as ours' was? One wonders... He became the symbol of the past night for us, the individual who bridged the gap between the sober and the drunk, who like us couldn't help but think "wtf" about the past twelve hours. Then he proceeded to get up and start crawling over foot-high concrete walls. And that was our last memory of Sunrise Beach on Ko Pha-Ngan. We boarded the dangerously crammed 7am ferry too tired to sleep and sailed back to our quiet Lamai Beach bungalow on Ko Samui.

---Vital Signs---
Travel Weariness = 90%
Mood = In the Red
Time Till Home = 2 Days
Pad Thai = Sick Of
Acknowledgments = Despite mood, songs will be sung of this day
Slideshow Report as Spam


cdnski12 on

Kinda pointless to go there with less than $50/1500 ThB cash?

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: