Mixing Pleasure with business, Dominica

Trip Start Jul 19, 2007
Trip End Sep 14, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Dominica  ,
Saturday, July 28, 2007

Wow, well there's soooo much to say about my main destination Dominica, the Nature Island of the Caribbean but if I was to describe it in one word I would say GREEN.  My dad said that if Columbus was to return to the Caribbean Dominica would be the only island that he would recognise.   When you see the photos you will understand that statement!! Firstly let me say that I am proud to be a Dominican by descent.  This luscious island is the birth place of my mother, her parents and the rest of her family. 

After Landing at Cainfield airport, a tiny airport which can only take small aircrafts because of the length of the runway, all of the passengers including myself waited for approximately 15 mins before an immigration officer arrived.  Apparently they forgot that a flight was coming in during that hour.  I hired a taxi from the airport to Goodwill (where I stayed with my aunt) and as I was jumping in the car so did another woman which I later learned was my driver's girlfriend.  Not very professional but life is pretty laid back in the Caribbean. 

Dominica is situated between two French islands, Martinique and Guadeloupe.  It was fought over by the French and the English so as you go through Roseau the architecture shows strong French influence.  Many people, especially older natives speak French Patios called Kweyol however English is the official language.  Tropical forest coats two thirds of the island and the island also has 365 rivers...one for each day!

As the title suggests, part of the purpose of this trip was for business.  Within 2 hours of landed I had finished a meeting and had the rest of the day to relax and explore.  On my first night I went with some cousins to a get together.  The first drink that I had, a creamy alcholic drink did it for me so unfortunately I didn't take any pictures as I was sleepy after that drink. 

The next day, the Thursday, I can hardly remember what I did. I know that I had a late start and spent the morning watching British programmes on BBC America (it's good to see something familiar).  When the temperature went down considerably in the evening (i.e. approximately 26 degrees) I went for a walk around Roseau, Dominica's capital and then made my way to my cousin's flat on the river side for dinner and a long but productive meeting.

Friday was a great but a long day.  I woke up at around 8 am, had a breakfast of papaya (paw paw) and mangoes.  I stayed with my aunt who usually left for work before I emerged from bed but she left a supply of fruit for me every morning...thanks Aunty Myrts!! I got ready for my last meeting.  It was supposed to have been a short one but went on a lot longer than planned.  It was VERY SUCCESSFUL and right now I am still happy that things are moving...hurray!!!  After the meeting I had lunch with my cousins Irwin, Andrea and Noah and then we went sight seeing.  We went to the Victoria Falls but since I could spend a whole page describing that I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

On Friday night after such a long day I hit the road.  Donna, if you read this please tell Malcom that I found a Red Bull in Dominica (not that easy to find either).  So I had a Red Bull and then hit the road.  My cousin Aurie was supposed to come to Happy Hour at the Fort Young Hotel but instead she put Vanessa in charge of me.  Woweee she can PARTY!!!  I had the leathal rum punch at Fort Young Hotel (please remember that I had a Red Bull shortly before I started).  We left Fort Young at 11pm and headed further south to a bar on the Road to Point Michelle. I danced till I was soaking.  The rythm of Caribbean beats, wrapping my arms around those slim waists of fit young men more than willing to offer me a dance...ooh la la..I'll stop there. We left there around 2 am and passed at a  tiny bar called Sylvesters.  They sell some wicked fish pies.  At around 3 am we arrived at Black Velvet...mmm...I increased my contact list in there...lol.  To be very honest I can't remember everything but I know that just after 5 am I was sitting at a stall at the local market in Roseau with my friends having breakfast...pig foot souse, followed by coconut water...yum yum.  I got home after 6am.

I was up by 9am on Saturday and ready to roll by 11am.  Before heading to the airport I had some more business to take care of.  It was hard work but I'm satisfied at what was achieved.  I can't be bothered to do a blog for my next 2 stops.  I went to Antigua for a couple hours.  The flight was delayed so I got to do some business.  Had a short stop in St Vincent and now I'm back in Grenada.

Hope that you enjoy the pics!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: