Well that was fun

Trip Start Jun 25, 2013
Trip End Dec 25, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of India  , Pondicherry,
Thursday, October 3, 2013

Early to bed last night after a reasonable pasta meal and no beer. I'm not the world's best person on a boat and thought I'd give myself the best chance possible. 

Diving with a hangover? Been there done that. Going on a small boat with a hangover - not recommended! 

I was up at 6, showered and riding to the centre within 15 minutes. There was unexpected drizzly rain to greet me but the weather looked promising. On arrival at the centre I was introduced to the other divers and after a quick coffee we were on our way.

The boat was a 10 min car ride away and I was soon in one of the 3 boats that were heading out to sea. Two of the boats contained about 2 tonnes of rocks for the artificial reef building work. In my boat were three other divers, 2 completing their open water and a 3rd who'd recently qualified in Thailand. The two students were to do their skills and I was off with the guide and other diver to scoot around a bit.

Initially all was good but then I started to feel the oh so familiar sensation of sea sickness. I don't always suffer with this but when I do it's usually not good. The small boat combined with a VERY noisy and smelly outboard soon had me green around the gills.  The Bay of Bengal wasn't  rough rough but it had a decent amount of swell that had the front end bouncing up and down nicely.

We sat bobbing around on the water for a few minutes before dropping anchor and preparing to kit up. It was at this time my banana  made an unwelcome re appearance and I started to feed the fish one of their five a day.

So I quickly kitted up and soon went backwards into the cool water. Initially that felt good and it was nice to wash my face off before attempting to descend. Suffice to say I reckon I was at 2 meters before being violently sick into my regs and returning to the surface. I felt awful.

When being ill (as a few reading this may know) I am far from quiet and this vocal explosion is difficult when attempting to also hold your regs in your mouth. I bobbed around for a bit before telling the others to head on down the line and I would move down slowly once sorted out. Suffice to say that didn't happen and my sea legs didn't appear.

I remained in the water until they surfaced about 50 minutes later and took guilty pleasure in realising  that I wasn't the only one suffering. 

As the rock carrying boats were soon to depart I made the regrettable decision an hour later that my days diving was over and left with them for the 40+ minute boat ride back. It was then a case of a wet suited ride back to the centre on a 350 Enfield before cleaning some kit and having a sit down and coffee.

I rode back to my lodgings and got here about 1.30 and after a quick shower led down and dozed for a couple of hours. I still felt nauseous and at the time of writing my heads still 'at sea'.

I felt a bit better though and took the bike for a spin in search of another Hero dealer I'd been told about.

The good news is that I'm now going there tomorrow and they'll hopefully let me have the required bits (for a price) from a new bike they have in their showroom.
The moral of this story...........I need to stick to bikes and avoid boats!!!!!!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: