Friends again!

Trip Start Aug 17, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  , Wilayah Persekutuan,
Saturday, February 11, 2012

 We are beginning to feel the end of our trip now so we splashed out for a nice place to stay in KL (particulary as Singpore is super expensive and anywhere above hostel level is way out of our budget!). We arrived in style; grubby, dishevelled and sweating after the bus trip and deciding the hotel was close enough to walk. We walked up to a rather impressive looking building with a grand entrance and the door was opened for us by a man in a malaysian suit. Nobody dressed like him should have been opening doors for people dressed like us! So feeling even more out of place we walked across the chandelier and marble reception. Our room was their most basic, it was gorgeous, there was a big TV opposite the bed and a window from the bath to the bedroom - which meant you could watch TV in the bath! We also had a view of the Petronas Towers from our window.                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Apart from being a big city with lots to see and do it is also the only place where we have people we know and as much as we love each other it is nice sometimes to have a dilutent every now and then! Our friend from uni, Izz, Is working here as is Cecile who we met in Dali. We met Izz on our first day in KL we caught up over lunch, he ordered us Malaysian favourites, and did some shopping then went to the Batu caves outside of KL. The Thaipasam festival was finishing up here and the temple inside the caves was a mess with bottles and bags and coconuts with a strong smell of fermenting milk. The caves monkeys happy with the spoils of the festival and swarmed over the rubbish. 
 We were to meet Cecile that evening to go out so we had a desperate shop for shoes and clothes that we could be seen in for a night out, after beaches and jungles most of our clothes were not suitable! We met Cecile at her apartment, very nice and swish, and met some of here friends. They are also French and all work for big companies in KL. We were taken out to the bar street, KL version of Leicester square and on another night to a Sky bar, a bar up on the top of a hotel with fantastic views of the KL skyline and of the petronas towers.  Cecile was packing up her house to move to Washington to work for the same company so we caught her just in time,she turned out to be a fantastic host and met us every night and suggested things we would enjoy seeing during the day, we were very lucky to have her there!                                                                                                                                                                     During the day we did some shopping in the many, many shopping centres and walked around the city. Outside one of the shopping centres is a display of bears decorated by different countries, the UK bear is crap though! We also got on a hop-on-hop-off bus to see some of the further away sites. KL has the largest free flying aviary in the world, so we visited the bird park to see it. The bus took us around various other sites, we stopped at the national museum which charts the history of all human life in Malaysia up to today (and is lovely and air-conditioned!).
The bus also took us past the government buildings, complete with guards on horses, and kindly stopped so we could climb out on mass to take pictures. At the bird park we walked into a giant net tent. It is like walking in a very neat tropical garden with very tame birds around. We walked towards some white cranes on the path infront of us and they nonchalantly stolled away unbothered.                                    

  After leaving the bird park (late, we couldn't find the way out and they were closing) it was back onto the bus, which we were then on for the next two hours as it negotiated the notourious KL rush hour traffic, it probably would have taken us about 30 minutes to walk! We met Cecile again for the evening and took us to a party of a friend. The party was full mostly of French expats like Cecile and her friends, most of them were kind enough to speak English to us when they realise how limited our grasp of foriegn languages was. At this party we met a Malaysian guy called Daniel, he was also a non French speaker and was going to Singapore for buisness at the same time as us so said he would show us round there. Simon started to lament that we had done no karaoke in the whole time were had been in Asia (this started when we forst met Cecile in Dali and he wanted sing there!) so Daniel suggested that we go the next night before we take the night train to Singapore.

  Our last night in our hotel was spent in total luxury. Though our room was lovely and had beauiful views we also had a very noisy neighbour who started to make lot of noise from about 1am. the first night we tried to ignore it, the next two nights I aske them to be quiet and the last day we asked to be moved to a different room. Simon's theory about the rooms occupant was that she was a prostitute. This was deduced from the fact that the room was under a womans name and was for a month (hotel reception staff told us this) and every time I had spoken with them a different man had opened the door.....who knows! Anyway they moved us to a suite!! It was bigger than alot of flats, it had a dining area, a desk area, a sitting room, two bath rooms and a giant bed room, it was amazing!

  Our last day was spent very lazy, we use the pool in the hotel and had a massage and body scrub afternoon then it was off to karaoke. aniel picked us up and we drove to one of the shopping centres and went to the karaoke booths at the top. We got our booth and snacks and started to sing, we were met by another gy from the party and were waiting fo Cecile and Bene to join us. Simon did  very rocking 'Sweet Child of Mine' then told us he had left his pssport at the hotel and had to go, and dissapeared. 

  As the evening wore on we heard from him witth various reasons why he was still missing, it sounded like he was having a really bad time. Daniel was to meet some friends for dinner and took me with him, they where very nice - if a little surprised to see me! It was time to get the train and Daniel even took me to the train station, so nice for someone who met me only the day before! Finally I was at the train station and so was Simon and we were ready to go....
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: