I spy and Goodbye

Trip Start Jul 29, 2010
Trip End Feb 04, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Canada  , Nova Scotia,
Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The trip to Digby was fairly quick and uneventful. Although, my navigation skills have no progressed so far that I consider Google Maps rubbish and was using the big Eastern Canada map - get me! We headed straight down Digby Neck to Tiverton with the intention to go whale watching. We signed up for a zodiac trip and then headed off for lunch on a little cove further up the road. On our return we were kitted out in the highly attractive and highly visible orange jump suit things and instructed to head down to the tiny harbour. There was a sense that we should be walking in slow motion to the sound of Aerosmith but we quickly got over that. As we were such a small group we got to go in a smaller boat. I was assured that Zodiacs were unsickable but that doesn't mean I could fall out. I did spend the first 30 minutes or so with the wind rushing through my, gripping the handrope with white knuckles.

Our first sighting was some porpoise but we headed out to chase down some whale tail. We first ran into a pod of about 40 white sided dolphins who leapt happily in water around us. They seemed to just keep coming and coming...it was very cool. Obviously, we were there to see the big guys and after some hushed radio conversations with our boat captains, Salty Richie took to three humpback whales - Mum and Calf and a third hanger on. This was the most amazing sight - the whales surfacing to breathe and the occasional flash of full whale tail was a unique experience. We stuck with this group for a while - they swam under the boat and the water was so clear as to allow us to still see the white pectoral fins as they dived deep into the bay. The male even bobbed his head up to have a look at us before swimming on. It was fascinating and made even better by the fact it was just us there for about an hour. We then went to see another pair which included a huge male with a notch out of his dorsal fin. There was another boat there, more of a fishing boat - they were really far from the actual whales - the experience must be nothing like the one we got on the smaller boat. On the way back we saw some seals but pretty much just headed back to shore.

There were a couple of the guys from the boat company on our trip, including Salty Jim. He seemed particularly friendly and was keen to see Jude photos and show me other things to see on the waves - Jude and I couldn't quite work out if we trying to chat us up. Oh well..seeing he currently lives and work at the very edge of Canada it would never of worked for either of us.

We headed back to Digby for the final night of the Road Trip. We dined on Poutine and Digby scallops before finds more tourist tat to tempt our wallets. We both got up very early indeed to depart our seperate ways the next day - Jude towards the ferry to Saint John, NB and me to catch the one bus a day back to Halifax, NS. It was very sad - I've had such fun on the road and seen so much of the country that I won't be seeing by Greyhound. I can't believe I won't be seeing Jude again until next February - Safe trip home Jude
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: