Diving Diva

Trip Start May 04, 2011
Trip End Oct 08, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
What I did
Scub Dive

Flag of Indonesia  , West Nusa Tenggara,
Saturday, July 23, 2011

Today was the test that would tell if I was going to join the week cruise. I met up with Lauren at 8:00AM to check gear. We loaded up and headed to Shark Point for the dive. Unfortunately due to stronger than normal current, she had us start a little shallower than planned which meant we missed more chance of seeing sharks. But I passed the comfort level needed for diving in current and as soon as we arrived back at the shop, I registered for the cruise.

I had already packed my suitcase, so checkout was easy and moving my suitcase down the road was just a matter of jumping in a Chidomo. Today I attempted to find a local style dress but since they are all one size fit all, nothing really fit me. The next challenge was to see how much money I could eject from the ATM to reduce how much I would have to bill on the credit card. The cruise is costing me $1500 for the week, more than double my daily budget and any additional transaction fee 3.5% is only more on top of that.

I desperately just wanted to spend some time chillaxin' on the beach but found myself in a frustrating conversation with the travel emergency insurance trying to change my flights to learn that the only solution is to do it directly with STA Travel during business hours.

Back at the shop by 5:00PM, I met the other passengers: Joan and Martin from Holland, Carolyn and Cullum from the UK and Burcu and Umut from Turkey. A few are experienced divers while Carolyn and Cullum only just completed their open water with Gili Divers and Lauren earlier in the week. We were introduced to Jeremy our dive captain, a California native from Whittier.

We boarded the wooden boat, got our room assignments and were off. Tonight was a brief introduction to the itinerary including which dive sites and land excursions we would see along the way; all on the heels of a delicious fish dinner. From takeoff, the sea was rough, we all loaded up on sea sick medication and I set up my mattress on deck. It was an easy decision since I was paired in a room with one of the couples. No sooner than dinner was inhaled, I crawled up onto the mattress and passed out.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: