A True Egyptian Experience

Trip Start May 04, 2011
Trip End Oct 08, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Egypt  ,
Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A small attempt was made to get to Alexandria today but it would have meant departing Cairo around 3pm, a three hour commute and then turning around early the next morning to catch my 3:45PM flight to Istanbul. I just couldn't deal with another rushed journey and the not having control of making it back to Cairo in proper time. So I spent the afternoon in El Mohandiseen area at Mo’s second shared apartment. It was nice to be in a fairly central and clean area for a change where I could leisurely walk to a café, and get on the internet for a bit.

Thanks to Karen Gardner, I moved accommodations again today to the home of Khadija. Through an email, she offered to host me tonight at her home in Zamelek which is the area where most of the consulates are located. This makes perfect sense since Khadija works for the UN. Once I saw her beautiful Western designed home and the queen size bed, I fantasized about a good night sleep. But it was more of a five minute drop off my bags and run, because Ahmed arrived promptly at 5:00PM. I say that jokingly because originally we were supposed to meet up earlier to see something today but in the end, he promised to arrive at 5:00PM and did a good job, keeping his word.

The planner that Ahmed is, he put together a plan to check out the local music culture center for live concerts and then catch the lunar eclipse from the top of the Cairo tower. We did just that, although there was no live performance today, merely a musical instrument exhibit. However; the view of the eclipse was perfect from 614 feet high.

The night didn’t end there, we went back to the only bar and lounge that I know of, 5 Bells where Nasser Abuzied and Moawney met up with us. After a drink or two we all ventured over to the Giza Pyramids to ride horses. We arrived around 3:00AM, got saddled up and were led into the dessert. The horses galloped toward the pyramids under the full moonlight, it was absolutely magical. By the time we returned to the stable and sat under the Bedouin tents sipping mint tea, the sun began to rise. I got home at about 7:00AM in time for a three hour cat nap.  Determined to please, Moawney promised to drive me to the airport by noon which required him to sleep in the car while I went upstairs to Khadija’s, showered and slept comfortably although briefly. Moawney saw me off and I bid farewell to Cairo.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: