Prince Island

Trip Start May 04, 2011
Trip End Oct 08, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Turkey  ,
Monday, June 20, 2011

I woke this morning prepared to hit the road. I made a beeline for Oz's office, where I housed my luggage; I was getting good at this particular route. After some chatting, Oz encouraged me to take advantage of the day and go see Prince Island, a must see before I leave Istanbul.

I made my way there easy enough and was thrilled that he insisted I went. The boat ride took about one hour, 10 minutes which I spent socializing with two lovely older English women. I arrived on the island, where automobiles are forbidden and had basically three options for exploring. 1. Get in the long line of tourists for an expensive horse and carriage ride, 2. Go on foot, 3. Rent a bicycle.

In exchange for my California driver’s license I rode off on a beat up seven speed mountain style bike with a wire basket and a lock and couldn’t have been happier. J I peddled up to Lunapark, at the base of St. George Cathedral, parked and locked the bike and sat for a good hour enjoying a "nice" fish lunch overlooking one end of the island.

It was a good suggestion to leave the bike at the base because I had a hard enough time walking up the .5 mile steep hill to the church.

After the descent I proceeded to peddle around the outside loop of the island, drawn into the characteristic white, wooden, filigree style houses, hidden beaches and even passing the horse stables, until finally arriving back to the center of town. It was a blast to watch everyone doing the same thing.

After four hours on the island I opted for an earlier boat back to the mainland and coincidently bumped into my English friends, Sue and Rosemary.

I finished the night by picking up my luggage from Oz’s office and joining him for a delicious dinner and nice bottle of Chablis before it was time for me to drop off my extra bag by Erin closer to the center and then be at the bus station by 12:30AM. I actually arrived closer to 11:30PM and panicked when the 12:45AM shuttle didn’t appear. There had been a couple within the hour that I was sitting there but the guy at the office insisted I wait for the 12:45AM shuttle. Well needless to say, by 1:15AM a fellow local traveler understood enough English to realize that we had a problem and we were able to arrange for another shuttle to swing by and get us.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: