Monday Morning - Getting Established

Trip Start May 15, 2009
Trip End May 24, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of India  , Bengal,
Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Everyone felt better this morning after a good night's sleep, we were each so incredibly exhausted.

Alanna, Heather & Tom all decided to check out the breakfast that is included with our room at the Y.   Hmmm.  We eventually decided that it would be best to join Mar at Flurries, the restaurant down the road, lol. 

At the Y our breakfast consisted of a hard boiled egg (Alanna had one with a white yoke, something none of us had seen before), dry bread, a bruised bananna, and a dirty knife for spreading butter on the bread.  It is difficult to describe the area where they prepared it for us.

Tom & Heather met some YWAM students who are here working with kids living at the train station.  They are staying at the Y all summer.  We invited them to join us when we visit the families at the dump, so hopefully something will work out between our two groups. 

Flurries was awesome!  Tom brought his mandolin and the waiters insisted he play it.  They turned off the speaker music and totally disregarded what the other customers might want - they all gathered around Tom and laughed and took turns playing, it was a lot of fun!

After breakfast Tom, Heather & Alanna set off to find "electronics" (our morning mission!).  We tracked down a pre-paid 3G internet service that would last for just a week (perfect, exactly what we need) but we couldn't get it without a receipt from the Y, which we haven't paid for yet, so we'll have to go back for that.

We weren't able to find an electricity transformer anywhere, and we also could not find strong batteries made to run electronic devices for our cameras.  The only batteries we could find died after we took like 5 pictures!  How irritating!

Along the way we saw all kinds of cool things the merchants lining the streets had to sell.  They had hand-made bags and scarves and wall hangings, and clothing, and jewelry - it was a fun experience having them compete for our attention as we passed by, but at times they would get a bit pushy, so we had to be careful.  We did end up buying a few things here & there, and I'm sure we got taken advantage of more than we realize, but it's all good in the end!

The street vendors actually live on the streets as well, they sleep right there with their things.  Their "shops" actually fold down.  We tried to understand how they were able to become street vendors vs. beggars - they both still live on the streets -  but, at this point, it's still uncear how street folks can move from one level to another. 

Unfortunately, Heather started feeling really sick in the afternoon so we had to head home.  We stopped at a deli to rest and met a couple from Spain who are taking this year off to travel.  They are leaving for Nepal tomorrow.  Tom still had his mandolin with him so he played it again in the deli for the couple.  They had never seen a mandolin before, and the woman had never even heard of one.  The guy looked just like the tall skinny comedian on 'Who's Line is it Anyway', he was the spitting image in fact, but all the batteries in my camera were dead so I wasn't able to take his picture!

We finally made it back to the Y and Heather was suffering from heat exhaustion so had to rest. Tom went back out to follow a lead he had - & sure enough, he came back with an electrical transformer!  Thank God for Tom!!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: