What a day!

Trip Start Aug 16, 2004
Trip End Aug 13, 2005

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , District of Columbia
Sunday, July 10, 2005

What a day!

It started with getting the 7:40am shuttle from the hotel in Atlanta to the airport. Our flight was at 9:15am and I wanted to get there 2hrs before as that was what was recommended for our flight from Vegas to New Orleans. However, Delta airlines only recommended 30mins beforehand, so we went for 1hr thinking we'd have plenty of time.

Inside the terminal was chaos. Delta have these self service check in terminals. However, in New Orleans airport they also had the normal check in lines, and anyone whose flight was soon, they moved to the front of the queue.

No such common sense at Atlanta airport. It's supposed to be the busiest airport in the US so you'd think they'd have it sussed but no. We waited in what we thought was the check in line, only for a grumpy Delta woman to ask us if we had any problems with the self check in. Apparently we HAD to use this -when I asked if we could just stay in line for the check in counter, she told me they don'd do check ins anymore, just provide assistance.

So off we went to the self check in. It was pretty straightforward, but then you have to get in line to drop off your checked bags at the counter. All the self check in does is print your boarding pass.

So we stood in line and the queue wasn't moving. We were getting concerned as it was now 8:25 and our flight was at 9:15am. Wouldn't normally be a problem but we knew we had been selected again to get a more thorough security search. We asked one guy whether he could get us closer to the front of the queue but he wasn't interested in helping us.

5 mins later, I went to speak to the same grumpy woman from earlier, who was standing about. I explained the problem only to be told that she only deals with the other side of the counters, not the side we were standing in.

Eventually we checked the bags and ran to security. There was a big queue so we spoke to 2 officials and they directed us to another entrance. Graham decided we'd go to the 1st class line instead and bluff our way through, as it was even quicker than the other entrance. The woman was really grumpy as well but let us through.

The security guys were really nice and helpful and told us how to get to our gate. The prodecure was much quicker than in New Orleand so we managed to catch the train to the concourse and get to the gate at 9am. They'd only just started boarding so that was a huge relief.

The flight was fine, but when we landed, Graham's bag didn't appear. It did turn up at the hostel about 8hrs later so that was a relief.

We got to the hostel finally and went straight out to do some sight seeing. We went to Capitol hill, where the Congress Library, Supreme Court and Capitol building are. We then walked down The Mall to Washington Monument - a monument to George Washington. We went up to the top of the monument as it was free and had a look at the views. The windows were very small and a bit dirty so our photos aren't too clear.

After that we headed back to the hostel then went out for dinner at an Italian restaurant called Taliano's - a couple of blocks away. The food was delicious, and after such an eventful day it was an early night.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: