The Big Easy

Trip Start Aug 16, 2004
Trip End Aug 13, 2005

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Louisiana
Friday, July 8, 2005

The first thing we did today was to go to the Visitor Centre, where they let us use their phones to call Delta Airlines. After about 1hr of dealing with them (mostly being on hold as it was really busy due to Hurricane Dennis) we managed to get our New Orleans to Atlanta flight changed from Sunday morning to Saturday morning. The did this free of charge as well due to the hurricane. So now we were going to spend a whole day in Atlanta, rather than just a couple of hours.

After that we were most relieved and we went back to the hostel to change as we got caught in a heavy downpour. At this point we told the hostel that we would be checking out a day early due to the hurricane. Not only would they not give us our deposit back, but they were rude to us as well and basically told us we couldn't run from a hurricane and should stay put. We later found out that they tried to charge our credit card for an extra night even though we'd already paid for our nights there.

We then walked into the city centre. First stop was the Contempary Arts Centre where we could use the internet if we bought a coffee. After finding some cheap accommodation in Atlanta, we continued walking into the city.

New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz, and Louis Armstrong. We walked to Jackson Square and then down the Mississippi river, where we walked along the riverfront watching the boats, until we came to the Riverwalk Shopping Centre. Had a mooch around and after eating some dinner, we went to Bourbon Street.

Bourbon Street is the main party street in New Orleans. It is full of bars and restaurants and has its own smell associated with the street. We stopped and had a daiquiri in a little cafe/bar where we sat on the terrace watching a band called Steamboat Willie play. Our drinks were aptly named Hurricane.

We then moved to a piano bar called Howl at the Moon. There were 2 guys playing pianos and they were really good. They were also part of a 4 man band that played as well. They were doing song requests, and the bar had 2-for-1 beers. Didn't have too late a night, and caught the bus home around 11pm. Set the alarm for 5am in the morning. Luckily for me I woke up at 2am and remembered that the clock was still set for Vegas time, not New Orleans time.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: